Honored Contributor

Re: MODS Question About Refunding Tax With A Drop In Price

Quite simply, if you end up paying less for the item, b/c of a price adjustment, you should not be paying tax on the original price.

If the tax on the amount credited is not refunded, you have a valid complaint. No retailer is allowed to collect tax on money that has been refunded. 

No matter where l make a purchase, if l get a price adjustment, the tax on that amount is always refunded.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

You were misinformed.  Call back.

Respected Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@Warrior2022  I have already called twice. Both times I was told QVC has NEVER refunded the difference in the tax.

Esteemed Contributor

Each state that collects sales tax has a procedure for the consumer to request a refund, although I think many have a minimum refund of $1.

Also, some states collect tax on the S&H charge in addition to the charge for the merchandise.  That would have to be factored into any tax refund.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

When I have contacted them about the price difference they have always credited the tax.I usually give them the price difference and ask to be credited back plus tax and that’s what they have always done. You were definitely misinformed. Sometimes it takes calling back a few times.

Respected Contributor

@Lucylu12 wrote:

When I have contacted them about the price difference they have always credited the tax.I usually give them the price difference and ask to be credited back plus tax and that’s what they have always done. You were definitely misinformed. Sometimes it takes calling back a few times.

@Lucylu12  I'm pretty sure I was always credited back the tax in the past. That's why I asked the rep if this was a new policy.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the rep did finally credit my tax back - after I asked to speak to a supervisor. It took me two phone calls and a  lengthy wait both times. 

It's ridiculous that anyone would have to make more than one phone call to achieve the correct outcome. 

Honored Contributor

"QVC will refund any overcharged sales or use tax to a customer up to three years from the date of the customer's request for a refund."

https://www.qvc.com/content/information/general-terms-conditions.html

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

So ...... another day .....

I purchased an item from HSN that now has a lower price. 

Called CS yesterday and was refunded the difference in price AND THE SALES TAX. 

I didn't have to even ask about the tax, it was included in the amount I was told I would be refunded.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lmt wrote:

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@Warrior2022  I have already called twice. Both times I was told QVC has NEVER refunded the difference in the tax.

@lmt, you were not misinformed.  I have read this same complaint on this board many, many times and I have experienced it myself.  I was told more than once by a CS Rep they don't refund the tax difference. However, I think they may go back and do it later because sometimes out of the blue I will get a refund for a very small amount and I'm never sure what it's for but I assumed it was for the sales tax.    

Frequent Contributor

Agreed. I too posted about this about six months ago. My post was met with more hostility than yours. I was accused of being cheap. 

The customer service rep said the same to me about not refunding tax. The rep then sent an email to TPTB and i was granted a tax refund a few days later.