Trusted Contributor
I always use a check at the supermarket! I do try to have it ready beforehand so that I'm not holding up the line! 😃
Esteemed Contributor

@hooked on books, you can always ask the cashier to print it from the register, but make sure you look at the AMOUNT that´s printed on the check. Another way to do it, before you get to the register, put   name of the supermarket, date it and sign it, and when the cashier gives you the anount, just write that in.

Everybody is always in a rush, Why? Just take your time and make sure it´s done properly. Those are the people who run out without taking their purchases lol

Honored Contributor

i will say that as a small business owner we RARELY accept checks.

we have had too many issues in the past.

as a customer, you have a lot more advantages to using a credit card/debit card with the visa or mc symbol. so many banks now offer you points or perks for using the card PLUS if there are issues with the product or service, you can ask to dispute the charge.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

Years ago when i used Check at the supermarket, all I had to do was sign the check. The register filled in the check and the cashier showed me the check to make sure everything was correct. As far as I know it´s still done this way and it keeps the line moving.

@Sage04 I know Walmart does it that way.  I am surprised my grocery store doesn't, but that is okay with me.  I remember when my oldest was in H.S. he had some sort of class where they had to learn how to write a check.  He got points off a test because he did not draw a line in the space after he wrote out who the check was made out to.  Young people today are not taught basics like this, but I guess they will never have to do it, so why teach it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

Years ago when i used Check at the supermarket, all I had to do was sign the check. The register filled in the check and the cashier showed me the check to make sure everything was correct. As far as I know it´s still done this way and it keeps the line moving.

@Sage04 I know Walmart does it that way.  I am surprised my grocery store doesn't, but that is okay with me.  I remember when my oldest was in H.S. he had some sort of class where they had to learn how to write a check.  He got points off a test because he did not draw a line in the space after he wrote out who the check was made out to.  Young people today are not taught basics like this, but I guess they will never have to do it, so why teach it.

@Puppy Lips 

yes, my son had some type of buisness class in high school where they were taught to write checks.

BUT.....

draw a line in the pay to space after you write the name?

i have never done that........

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I do not shop online w/cc or dc.  If the shopping site does not have a toll free # AND does not accept checks they do NOT get my business.

I order by phone, I use checks when I purchase something at the Q.  I mail the check w/in 24 hours.  I get my items w/in 2 weeks.  Never had a shipping issue. 

I use checks to pay all my bills.

When I am out & about I am a cash & carry type person.

I don't know where you folks live that businesses do NOT accept checks.  If that was the norm in my neck of the woods, those places would be out of business.  In the county I live in & in the next state most if not all corner grocery stores still "take credit/honor system" meaning you pay when you can.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Many have shipping woes stories, this has been noted here for a long time now.

I must be in the minority. Receiving my goods still takes pretty much the same amt of time they always have, 4-6 days. I get excited when I get something in 3 days. 

I get excited if mine goes out of "In Process" in 3 days.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@Puppy Lips 

yes, my son had some type of buisness class in high school where they were taught to write checks.

BUT.....

draw a line in the pay to space after you write the name?

i have never done that........

@sunshine45 Yes, I was taught to do that and he was too.  I guess it is to prevent anyone from altering or changing, in that extra space, to whom the payment was made.  I still do it to this day.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

When we had our practice I was leery of accepting checks--too many times we got burned that way.  I always figured that if a person had a checking account, they could pay by debit card.  The bank fees were worth paying to be sure the doctor got paid.  Any patient who wanted a record of their payment had one with their receipt.  In addition, I would send any patient who asked a receipt for all their medical expenses for the year.

Checks are a risky proposition for a small business.  Every payment counts.  Having a "bad debt expense" for tax purposes doesn't make up for the fact that the money is lost to the small business owners.

Honored Contributor

Re: Check Discrimination

[ Edited ]

@Diamond Gal   You've gotten some very good suggestions here.  One suggestion was to sign up with PayPal.  It's very safe and takes the money from your checking account.  QVC accepts it as a method of payment.

Another suggestion was to get a Debit card with your bank.  It takes the money from your Bank.  Are you against doing these two things?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau