Frequent Contributor

What is the difference between Backorder and Waitlist?

I had an order in which it showed Shipped, only for it to get lost and never delivered.  Customer Service then placed a new replacement order for me, but at the time I was told it was now on waitlist.  Now, it says Backordered?  What is the difference?

Honored Contributor

Re: Backorder vs Waitlist

[ Edited ]

Backordered are products that have totally sold out and QVC is expecting an order from the manufacturer to arrive to replenish the order.

Waitlist is when a product has totally sold out but QVC expects a certain amount to be returned so they can turn them around and sell/send out to waiting customers who put themselves on the list.  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@mitzywhite  The big difference is when you put your name on Waitlist for an item, you are receiving someone else's reject/return. It may never have been used but it's not an item fresh off the shelf from a vendor. 

HOWEVER, it may ALSO be an item that was on Check-hold or a Cancelled item; in that case, it never left the warehouse so it IS a fresh off the shelf item.

Often I have received obviously USED items when I've placed myself on Waitlist for something. In that case, I mark and report it as DEFECTIVE,  QVC pays for the return and has credited my CC my card without issue. 

QVC Customer Care

A backorder means that the total number of stock provided by the vendor to us was incorrect. The item is out of stock and we will try to reorder. If we are unable to do so within two to three weeks, your order will be cancelled and you will be notified by letter.

Waitlist is offered when QVC has a reasonable expectation (not a guarantee) that the item will return to stock within 45 daysFor a waitlist order, you may receive a return or an item held by a check.

Hope that helps!

Beth QVC

Backorder mean 

Spoiler
Spoiler
A backorder is an order for a good or service that cannot be filled at the current time due to a lack of available supply. The item may not be held in the company's available inventory but could still be in production, or the company may need to still manufacture more of the product.

Esteemed Contributor

Im still waiting fir my Valerie item that now has been 18 days and I'm thinking at this point it will be cancelled 😕   I think after 21 days items are cancelled .   Back in the day Backorder items 99% of the time  you get your order ,  i guess not anymore  .  I don't get my hopes up any longer .   What I don't get is why even bother putting the item on Backorder when it does seem doubtful  the item will not return.😏

Regular Contributor

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I've had several orders that sat in process for awhile and then changed to backorder. I just cancelled them...so much for getting ahead of the holiday rush. BTW, these items were from several different vendors.   

Trusted Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@mitzywhite  The big difference is when you put your name on Waitlist for an item, you are receiving someone else's reject/return. It may never have been used but it's not an item fresh off the shelf from a vendor. 

HOWEVER, it may ALSO be an item that was on Check-hold or a Cancelled item; in that case, it never left the warehouse so it IS a fresh off the shelf item.

Often I have received obviously USED items when I've placed myself on Waitlist for something. In that case, I mark and report it as DEFECTIVE,  QVC pays for the return and has credited my CC my card without issue. 

Where do people get their information?  And why are they so secure in thinking they are speaking accurately?    

I just don't get it.