Super Contributor

I have a front loading Samsung washer, It has a n awful smell. I have tried everything, vinager, baking soda use the clean cycle, even the tablets. I leave the door open all the time. I have had many issues with the washer(making noise) even had it traded for another one. When this washer goes out I will get another brand. I heard GE has something to stop the smell. I love our Samsung tvs but this washing machine is the pits. Do you think a top loader is better about smell?

Anyone ever had this this?

Valued Contributor

I was glad when my front loader broke. I went back to the old fashioned top loader.

I would put a few dops of oil of oregano in the rim of the front loader. That did help with that musty smell it had.  If I remember correctly, the rim always had a little water in it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: washer issue

[ Edited ]

Front loaders are known for this type of issue.  Top loaders are better.  A week or two ago there was a thread about washers.  Lots of comments about what people like and don't like about different types of washers.  I just bought a top loader this morning, as a matter of fact. 

Valued Contributor

we had the same issue after the washer was 3 years old and it was stil under warranty, so we had a tech come out and look at it. One of the hoses wasn't draining correctly and the water was just sitting in the hose building mold and mildew. We had to have the hose replaced and repositioned so it would drain.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

my sister had the smae issue. she said she wiill never get a front loader again.. repair man said their's a seal on the inside of the door when you open her washer. he told her to wipe the seal i think you can even remove it. because water gets trapped in there and it can get moldy.. so after every wash load, she has to wipe it down. i think top loaders are the best in my opinion.........

Esteemed Contributor

@crazered  - Have you tried drying under the rubber gasket than runs around where the door closes? And, pull out the detergent drawer and dry that as well.

I had this problem as well and to soap & water with a rag and soft brush and cleaned under this rubber ring thing. Now, I leave both the door and drawer open when I am done. It seemed to solve the problem. 

Still prefer a top loader, however, my laundry room is small so had to do the front loader.

Trusted Contributor

I've had mine for many, many years and never had a problem. I have alway left the door open over night when I  did a load to dry it out.

I do miss my top loader though for dyeing clothes. I would dye our jeans to keep them looking new for instance.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard anyone say their top loader smells however I always hear people say the front loaders do.

Respected Contributor

@crazered wrote:

I have a front loading Samsung washer, It has a n awful smell. I have tried everything, vinager, baking soda use the clean cycle, even the tablets. I leave the door open all the time. I have had many issues with the washer(making noise) even had it traded for another one. When this washer goes out I will get another brand. I heard GE has something to stop the smell. I love our Samsung tvs but this washing machine is the pits. Do you think a top loader is better about smell?

I have an LG front loader.  And thankfully I haven't had the odor issue (knock on wood).  My washer has a tub clean feature that's to be used every month.  I also wipe down the washer, especially where is seals after every wash.  Maybe that helps?

Honored Contributor

Re: washer issue

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@crazered wrote:

I have an LG front loader.  And thankfully I haven't had the odor issue (knock on wood).  My washer has a tub clean feature that's to be used every month.  I also wipe down the washer, especially where is seals after every wash.  Maybe that helps?

I have a Kenmore Elite and clean mine as @ScrapHappy does plus I pull out the detergent/fab softener tray and dry it.  On occasion it might smell musty so I'll clean it on clean cycle (with a washer cleaning product) or  normal cycle with hot water.  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee