Super Contributor

My sister practically refuses to text and I'm beginning to understand why.  My daughter or granddaughter will text me, we'll be having a nice conversation, and I'll reply asking some question and then....nothing.  Like they fell off the face of the earth.  So I wait several hours, then a day, then I'll finally text them back saying, "did you get my last text?".  Maybe several hours later I'll get a reply saying, "sorry, I forgot", "sorry, I was busy", "sorry, my phone died" (understandable) or  some other excuse. 

Why do they just leave a person hanging like that?  I mean, they're right there, in the middle of a conversation.  And they just disappear.  So annoying.  I originally started texting because I know they have busy lives and I don't want to interrupt with phone calls, and I figure a few texts back and forth is less intrusive but still keeps us connected.

I'm wondering if I'm being unreasonable in my expectations or is it just a tendency of todays younger generation to disregard common courtesy?

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

My sister practically refuses to text and I'm beginning to understand why.  My daughter or granddaughter will text me, we'll be having a nice conversation, and I'll reply asking some question and then....nothing.  Like they fell off the face of the earth.  So I wait several hours, then a day, then I'll finally text them back saying, "did you get my last text?".  Maybe several hours later I'll get a reply saying, "sorry, I forgot", "sorry, I was busy", "sorry, my phone died" (understandable) or  some other excuse. 

Why do they just leave a person hanging like that?  I mean, they're right there, in the middle of a conversation.  And they just disappear.  So annoying.  I originally started texting because I know they have busy lives and I don't want to interrupt with phone calls, and I figure a few texts back and forth is less intrusive but still keeps us connected.

I'm wondering if I'm being unreasonable in my expectations or is it just a tendency of todays younger generation to disregard common courtesy?

@caroln242  I believe you answered your own question perfectly. It's the younger generation disregarding common courtesy. 

Honored Contributor

I'm horrible that way!

I'll text someone and then put the phone down and totally go on to something else and forget.

For some reason, my phone doesn't *sound* when my DIL texts me.  Phone is new (and I am not...lol!)

I don't think to check my phone for long periods and will see that I was texted...yesterday.  Ooops.

I'm still a *home* phone person, except I never listen to messages if I see someone called, I just call them back and say 'I didnt' listen to your message'.

I'm even worse listening to cell phone messages.  I've listened to maybe....three?

Honored Contributor

How often are you texting them?  Every day, several times a day. 

I know someone who had become a pest.  She texted her grandkids and daughter several times a day just asking what they were doing.  

Other than that, I'm seeing less consideration and respect from the younger generations than when I was young.  

Esteemed Contributor

To me, texting isn't long, drawn out full blown conversations. It's just used to touch base, short conversation.

For example:

A: Hey. R we still on 4 2night?

B: Yes

A: C U there!

If you want a long conversation, talk by phone or Zoom.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

I text my son all the time. I'm hearing disabled and can't hear on the phone. I have caption call on my landline but someone listens to type it. 
  My friends know to e mail or text also. I'm guilty of not having the phone nearby and getting a message but understand that text are interrupted by driving, working, etc. I can't even hear the regular phone ring, so I appreciate texting!

Esteemed Contributor

This happens a lot. A childhood friend and I would text for about 10 minutes, go about doing what we have to do and maybe a month later one of us would answer the last question asked and pick up where we left off. The conversation just keeps on going.

Respected Contributor

I despise text chitchat with a bunch of questions...if you want or need something just get to it & if you just want to talk call me. My texts are short with family...Thinking of you, have a good day, Love Always & if it's more I call them.

Respected Contributor

I love texting ...I can send a message to the kids .. they can get

to it when they can .. I don't feel I am interrupting something

important they may be doing ....

Esteemed Contributor

Texting can be convenient for quick messages.  I never send a text but I have friends who will text me and the back and forth over nothing is so annoying, it's one text after another and I feel like I should keep responding.  I don't want to!  Phone calls preferred but email works for me too so I can respond when I'm ready, it's not instantaneous.