Esteemed Contributor

Re: #stopasianhate and qurate

@Lali1 wrote:

Why are people so desperate to call everything a hate crime these days? Why do people and the media seem to need to hang onto that narrative? That in itself is spreading hate. The fact is most of the time people who kill do not do so because they hate them for their race.
People are tearing this country apart trying make people into things they aren't. You want to stop hate stop with yourself. If while you're defending one team you are hating and trashing on another you are part of the problem. There's a lot of hate going around and it's aimed at everyone not just a few groups. 

Because when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck, and not a giraffe.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

What i find so interesting is that some of the folks virtue signaling about how they are against "Asian hate" are just fine with keeping Asians out of Harvard and elite schools due to there being "too many of them."

Right here in Fairfax County, we have outrage that so many of the slots at a prestigious STEM school went to Asians.  That is being changed as - it is deemed "unfair."

Hmmmm.

If I were you, @Isobel Archer, I would not place any bets on that.

Oh TJ already changed the admissions criteria.  However, Asians filed suit - and I hope they win.  They should.  However, they lost suing Harvard so who knows.

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

What i find so interesting is that some of the folks virtue signaling about how they are against "Asian hate" are just fine with keeping Asians out of Harvard and elite schools due to there being "too many of them."

Right here in Fairfax County, we have outrage that so many of the slots at a prestigious STEM school went to Asians.  That is being changed as - it is deemed "unfair."

Hmmmm.

Thank you.  I said exactly that when I heard this.  So sick of hearing the latest victim news, and these companies who jump right over the cliff in their support of it. 

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Companies that do this are implying that one entire group is guilty and this problem is running rampant.

This one is so far from the truth, I find it very offensive.

What group are you talking about? Hateful people? I know of very few official groups that openly hate Asian people.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Hmmmm.

@Isobel Archer  My thoughts exactly!

Honored Contributor

The opposite of virtue signaling is....what? Whatever it is, yuck. Who would go our of their way to do that?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Hmmmm.

Thank you.  I said exactly that when I heard this.  So sick of hearing the latest victim news, and these companies who jump right over the cliff in their support of it. 

Yes, nobody wants to talk about the animosity Asians suffer as the "model minority" - when they are so often much more successful in school - especially in the STEM areas than other minorities - and even more successful than whites in those areas as well.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I wonder if QVC's advertised support of this initiative will have an effect on its sales? 

@deepwaterdotter 

Very possible.  Other issues have and are causing customers to boycott other companies as we speak.   

In some cases it's to demonstrate those companies haven't done their homework and don't really understand what's going on, but think those companies should know better.  They might stop shopping permanently, or for a certain amount of time to punish them.  

In some cases, it appears companies are playing politics alienating many of their customers. Very unwise strategy.  In this case, sometimes companies do lean one way, others cave because they are threatened with loss of substantial sales.  

In other cases, customers thinking they are increasing the sales of these companies, then they turn around and give to charities those customers would never support; however, most everyone can agree on donating to safe charities that support diseases, animal welfare, and our military families,  to name a few examples.  

Companies should stay out of politics and donating to controversial causes if they want to keep their customers.  

Respected Contributor

As to his motive (he killed 8 people - 6 Asian women, a white woman and a white man and shot an Hispanic man) - he claimed he went to massage parlors he had frequented for sex to get rid of the temptation.

So then a WaPo columnist this morning said that even if that were true - his sex addiction (to Asian women), was, itself a racist hate crime.

Well if that's true, then wouldn't the owners of the massage parlors facilitating this sort of sex addiction -aka - hate crimes against Asian women - also be subject to outrage.   And could there possibly be sex trafficking involved here?

Just trying to follow the logic.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

As to his motive (he killed 8 people - 6 Asian women, a white woman and a white man and shot an Hispanic man) - he claimed he went to massage parlors he had frequented for sex to get rid of the temptation.

So then a WaPo columnist this morning said that even if that were true - his sex addiction (to Asian women), was, itself a racist hate crime.

Well if that's true, then wouldn't the owners of the massage parlors facilitating this sort of sex addiction -aka - hate crimes against Asian women - also be subject to outrage.   And could there possibly be sex trafficking involved here?

Just trying to follow the logic.

I'm hoping there will be an investigation looking into this possibility.