Frequent Contributor

Re: someone stole our son's SSN to use on their taxes!!!

Keep in mind, your sons SS # may already be on someone else's return due to input error by the tax preparer. After all, it only takes one digit to create a mess. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. Try not to worry.
Super Contributor

My BIL and SIL someone stole their SSN's last year and someone filed a fraudulent claim using their numbers and due to their extremely high salaries managed to a refund over 10K or something like that or higher . . . it was a MESS for them to deal with . . . they didn't discover it until April when they went to file since they usually owe more. I guess the crook claimed maybe multiple kids, interest for mortgage or whatever and they check was sent to an updated fake home address . . . The Whole Nine Yards. I know it was a big MESS to clean it up.

Respected Contributor

On 1/30/2015 SStar said: Keep in mind, your sons SS # may already be on someone else's return due to input error by the tax preparer. After all, it only takes one digit to create a mess. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. Try not to worry.

That's what I was thinking.

It doesn't necessarily mean someone stole the SSN.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Contributor

Are people that stupid? How would you Not get caught, doing something like this? You're going to commit Federal tax fraud, for the amount of an extra exemption? Scary Dumb!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/30/2015 maisysiobhan said: Are people that stupid? How would you Not get caught, doing something like this? You're going to commit Federal tax fraud, for the amount of an extra exemption? Scary Dumb!

If you're in a third world country and have the refund put on a prepaid debit card offered by many online tax preparation companies.....I doubt you'll worry about being caught for fraud.

Most in person tax services now require you to bring in all SS cards. Not just the numbers on a sheet of paper.

Super Contributor

The same thing happened to my husband. Luckily the tax return they submitted was so drastically different than the ones we had filed previously, the IRS flagged the return and they did not receive a refund. Long story short there had been a number of these fraudulent returns being submitted with ss#'s from our community. The one thing everyone had in common was medical and the police firmly believedthe numbers were being stolen off doc u ments/computers in a medical setting.
Honored Contributor

A couple years ago a hospital data base where I used to work was broken into. Many cases where employees SSN were taken and they were discovered when the person attempted to e file their taxes. As far as I know the hospital attorneys have assisted in helping the employees to get their finances all straightened out and their identity protected free of charge and nothing else has happened in regard to this.

Respected Contributor

On 1/30/2015 shesallthat said:

we immediately went and checked all 3 credit reporting agencies - nothing came up for him thank goodness at this point. he is only 17 and it would be awful that someone is out there ruining his name and credit and he has not even gotten out of HS yet! i will keep checking as often as i can!

i am not sure what the process is with the IRS but i am so not looking foward to it!

That's terrible but don't you have to put a fraud alert with the credit reporting agencies so you don't have to keep checking.

Super Contributor

On 1/30/2015 shesallthat said:

we immediately went and checked all 3 credit reporting agencies - nothing came up for him thank goodness at this point. he is only 17 and it would be awful that someone is out there ruining his name and credit and he has not even gotten out of HS yet! i will keep checking as often as i can!

i am not sure what the process is with the IRS but i am so not looking foward to it!

The IRS will do an i nvestigation. They will send you info on what to do....put a fraud alert on the credit bureaus file a police report etc. We also notified our bank and they flagged our accounts. The police told us that the silver lin i ng in this whole mess was the tax return seemed to be the only thing they were using the ss#'s for. We didnt get our refund until right before Christmas.
Respected Contributor

It could be a mistake.

Last year my daughter was supposed to get around a $100 refund, they sent a letter saying it should be $250. They direct deposited the money in her account. Fast forward to Dec of this year, she got a letter saying they were wrong and they wanted their money back.