Super Contributor

I am two months into a serious depression.  It began with isolation  (solitary) during the beginning of Covid.  My depression began in June.  I have tried many different meds and therapy.  Was there any one thing that got you through? 

Esteemed Contributor

Please don't give up trying everything you can do to get help and feel better. I speak from experience, having a very dear niece who deserted all the help she could have received. Even Michele Obama has admitted that she has been depressed during the pandemic. My husband, who has Alzheimer's, has also confessed that he has bouts of depression. This is an epidemic within a pandemic. You are NOT alone. Please keep trying and keep in touch with me in these boards, God bless,

Honored Contributor

For me there were several things....

Fire TV

Massive DVD movie collection

Trips to BJ's

Walks in the woods (I live in the boonies).

Car trips to nowhere.

I'm retired.  Pandemic has not changed my way of living except I never leave home w/o a mask.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor
I’m sorry you are hurting @gellen.

First, please keep in contact with your therapist and let him/her know how you are still struggling. I can sometimes take awhile to hit on the correct combination of meds - and then several weeks after changing meds to tell if there is a difference. Don’t give up!

You mention solitary isolation. Do you have family or friends you are able to keep in contact with?

For me, forcing myself to open the door and go outside for awhile is a big plus, even if the walk is only in my own yard. I like to grow flowers, watch the bees and the birds. I think the sunshine and vitamin D helps.

Know that you are NOT alone and this won’t last forever. Keep with your therapist and physician. They want to help you and you deserve it.
Honored Contributor

Now that I'm thinking about it, I believe there could be several gov. sponsored talk phone hot lines which could help folks who are feeling the same as you and many others.

Maybe someone here might list a few.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@gellen 

Two months is a very short time to give any meds time to work for depression.  Are you in counseling?  I think there is over the phone or Facetime/Skype counseling available.  Give this time and take good care of yourself.  

Trusted Contributor

@gellen wrote:

I am two months into a serious depression.  It began with isolation  (solitary) during the beginning of Covid.  My depression began in June.  I have tried many different meds and therapy.  Was there any one thing that got you through? 

I live alone by choice .  Having severe anxiety when coming in contact with strangers, I do not leave my basement apartment except for unavoidable person-to-person visits to my medical Dr.  and psychiatrist.  And now I do consultations with them via FaceTime.  I order my groceries online, and have Chinese and Italian take-out delivered.  Contactless.  I never interact with the delivery person.

The one thing that I take comfort in?  The strength of prayer.  And the Bible. 

I pray you find hope, and better times to come.  🙏

Stay safe. Stay home.”

Honored Contributor

Can you pinpoint the cause? Have you lost someone to Covid? Lost employment? Was an important event cancelled, like a wedding? Assuming, it was brought on simply by isolation, I'd think a call to any mental health professional could direct you to proper treatment. Millions of us have been isolated so there has to be tons of data on how we are coping during this pandemic.

Regular Contributor

You're not alone.  In addition to medication and therapy, you might try meditation.  My son downloaded the Calm app on my phone.  My therapist says it's one of the best.

I'm no new age guru (or old age guru).  But it does help.  Also, as others have said, avoid the news.  Try to find someone to talk to on the phone every day.  Watch some fun movies.  Most of all, be kind to yourself.

Valued Contributor

For me, it's meditating on creation. My yard is full of flowers and birds of all kinds. If you can, put up a bird feeder (with a squirrel baffle-required). I have 5 in my yard, all full of different types of seeds to attract different kinds of birds. Even on the worst days, they are amazing to watch and quite enjoyable. Also, the hope in the Bible, knowing a better, cleaner, healthier world is coming.