Esteemed Contributor

Re: royal palace holding crisis meeting over meghans dad.

I'm guessing the reason for the meeting was to collectively decide how they would handle this and to make sure they were all on the same page. I would think that refusing to comment on him at all would be the most beneficial to the Crown. They probably don't want anybody within the family or extended family going off on their own tangents. Perhaps Meghan herself will have to make a public statement.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

There is not much they can do about him.  He is not a citizen of the UK. He is free to say and do as he pleases as long as he is not threatening.

Maybe they will offer to buy him off for his silence.

if they ignore him long enough, he will get the hint and go away.

the Palace might be able to silence the British Press though..which is very likely.

LOL. They have NEVER been able to silence the British Press, especially the British Tabloid Press. Nor should they. Free press is a necessary evil and a double edged sword.

Honored Contributor

Every day I read this thread title and giggle.

Seriously?  A ‘crisis meeting’ for a wayward in-law?

Anything Royal has a cartoon feel to it anyway,

but to add the dramatic ‘noise’ of crisis meeting just enriches it! 🙃

Just.can’t.make.this.up.

Honored Contributor

No one is blameless in this mess; there are two sides and a reason for the anger and resentment. 

I don't hate Meghan just have an unfavorable opinion of her. While some here seem obsessive fans, ready to attack anyone not sharing their adoration of her even resorting to untruths like the one about me defending Jordan V. I never did, wasn't interested in the Hollaway disappearance much less the person suspected of being responsible for it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess we all define 'crisis' differently...

For most of us, low-rent relatives are not a 'crisis'. They're an annoyance.

The fact is that from the perspective of the peerage, most royals, and probably a number of regular folks, Harry married 'down', meaning Markle was not of the peerage and not from a particularly 'good' family... He's not the first to have done so but by doing so it might have been expected that 'less desirable' members of the extended family, and let's face it, they now are extended family, would surface and seek their day in the sun. 

From her family's point of view, they likely see Markle sporting jewels, running around in little hats and two thousand dollar dresses, while trying to ignore their existence and playing the coveted role of a lifetime... From the point of view of her supporters, she bettered her lot in life and married well... As is often the case, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Regardless, her family's actions were predictable and if they were a concern for the royal family then the options were to try to manage them in advance or to insist that Harry look elsewhere for a mate. They weren't going to easily do the latter based on the debacles created with Charles and Diana and with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, who by rights, should have been the King and Queen-Consort... At this point, the best policy might be to simply grin and bear it...

When it gets right down to it, Harry is not heir to the throne, William is, and with William's burgeoning family, Harry will soon become a 'secondary' royal, just as did Prince Andrew and Prince Edward... and just as did Princesses Anne and Princess Margaret before her... Right now, Markle is 'new' but at some point, assuming the marriage lasts, she and Harry will not command as much of the public's attention as they do now, immediately following their marriage ceremony... 

As for which family members are just loaded with class and who adores whom and and who wants what for Harry, Markle or whoever, and so on and on and on...  it's nothing but pure speculation and rather silly in that none of us here knows any of these people...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

The thing makes me wonder, is that in the few articles I've read regarding Meghan and her father, they were always kind, loving, affectionate, positive words and expressions. Their photos together from childhood to recent have always appeared happy and normal. Then....it changed.

What happened? 

Many parents divorce and remain civil, if not friends (I know quite a few). Again, Meghan hasn't said her parents dislike each other, fight with each other, etc....but now it's 2 separate camps. 

Not speaking to her father in any way? Ignoring him? Cutting him out entirely from her life when seeks before the wedding, he was planning on attending with her mother? That's a 180.

I say this as someone who cut a parent completely out her life as well as out of her childrens' life. It's not something you just do on a whim. It involved discussing it with our pediatrician, child psychologist, our lawyer, the paternal grandparents, their lawyer, close friends and prayer. The big difference was the signs of it happening had been there for years; not weeks, days or hours. Those that know me knew this was going to happen and in the end, it did. It's been 15 years now and I don't know if she's dead or alive and don't care to; she does not exist. In Meghans' case, it just....happened. 

Because of what I went through and talking to others who have done and/or contemplating such a serious act, I truly don't believe everything I'm hearing or reading about the dad. I do think he wants to have contact with her and is desperate to do so as a loving and concerned father BASED ON WHAT was written and said about them leading UP TO the wedding.

Something isn't right. Perhaps because I was the one everyone blamed as the "horrible daughter" until they discovered the facts that I'm a bit more.....wary of what the media is putting out there. 

In the end, who knows. 

Trusted Contributor

Thomas Markle, Sr has made unforgivable public comments such as he made Megan who she is today including being a duchess... as well as him bringing up Diana's name into the conversation.  That had to be pretty awful for Harry and Megan.  Her father is an old fool and it's obvious where his other kids get their lack of brains.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Meghan's father took her with him to the studios where he worked and she has credited him for the reason she chose to be an actor. He was not disinterested nor uninvolved in her life. He was there for her when she needed him and now that he's no longer useful, an asset, just like her former husband, she has dumped him.

Respected Contributor

Quite frankly I don't understand why Americans pay any attention to the royals.  We fought a war to get away from them!  They live off the British taxpayers, quite lavishly!   The Queen has no real power;  Britain has a prime minister and parliament which makes the laws like our president and congress.  The Queen is just a very expensive figurehead and the rest of the family has no real jobs.  They might make a speech now and then for a cause they support.  Harry and William were both in the military, but that's finished.  Why is there such a fascination here in the US?  

Respected Contributor

These comments are so ridiculous. How is Harry marrying down? What makes him any better than Meghan? His family is just as, if not more, dysfunctional than Meghan's. Perhaps they bonded over that.

The suggestion that he deserves better or is better because of bloodline is really archaic and, frankly, pretty racist at its root.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu