Esteemed Contributor

Re: "You have nothing to lose"

Even when I am careful what i buy...things happen...I have to send back some Phylosophy....as it is too strong for me..so I will lose out on $10.00....but I have been out a lot more shopping other places...

Esteemed Contributor

@Sassyboo3 wrote:

I started a thread saying we should file a class action lawsuit a few weeks ago. There are FTC and FCC laws on the books to protect consumers from lies. People responded badly, saying "read the fine print ".  Seniors watching the TV DON'T SEE ANY FINE PRINT! I know several on limited incomes who were hurt financially by THE LIES. We need an attorney who will file a suit pro bono for us.

I'm 63 and I see fine print just fine.  

Trusted Contributor

I am kust curious.  Who should py for the costs to package, insure, and ship packages to you just so you can "try them out" to see if you like them?  Who should pay the return costs?  If not you, who?

While some peole like to lie in a work where shipping is free, the fact is there is not magical shipping fairy delivering the packages to your door on the back of flying unicorns.  The fact is shipping costs money, and if you do not pay for it, the costs get passed along to every other shopper, and I, for one, resent having to pay for shipping for people who do not research products beforehand and who make compulsive purchasing decisions.  That is your job, not man.

As for the return policy, it is no secret.  There is nothing nefarious behind it.  The polic is clear on their website, and any order taker will go over it on the phone if one has questions.  There are no secrets.  QVC is not violating any sort of law, and if they were, I am sure their team of expensive orporate lawyers would hae already pointed it out.

Honored Contributor

Nothing to lose, except money.  I don't order anything but home decor now, only returning if it's damaged or defective in some way.

Respected Contributor

@KYToby, it is not so much the return policy itself - as you say, that is clear.  

The complaint is that the host is saying something ("nothing to lose") that is contrary to the policy.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

I am kust curious.  Who should py for the costs to package, insure, and ship packages to you just so you can "try them out" to see if you like them?  Who should pay the return costs?  If not you, who?

While some peole like to lie in a work where shipping is free, the fact is there is not magical shipping fairy delivering the packages to your door on the back of flying unicorns.  The fact is shipping costs money, and if you do not pay for it, the costs get passed along to every other shopper, and I, for one, resent having to pay for shipping for people who do not research products beforehand and who make compulsive purchasing decisions.  That is your job, not man.

As for the return policy, it is no secret.  There is nothing nefarious behind it.  The polic is clear on their website, and any order taker will go over it on the phone if one has questions.  There are no secrets.  QVC is not violating any sort of law, and if they were, I am sure their team of expensive orporate lawyers would hae already pointed it out.

The point of the thread is that the hosts say, "You have nothing to lose."  But you do, if you have to return it.  It can cost $9.95 or more to try something.  The OP is not complaining about the shipping costs, only about the hosts saying you have nothing to lose, when in fact you do.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KYToby

Did you read the post before you became defensive? It is deceptive to say "you have nothing to lose" when you're out shipping costs. The customer should have the option on whether to gamble that potential loss.

I agree OP, it is annoying to hear.

QVC Customer Care