Honored Contributor

Re: "You Won’t Believe How Much Americans Are Spending on Weddings"

@HiLo wrote:

After spending a bundle of money on a wedding, many don't even stay married.  Then they want a 2nd wedding and expect a second gift.

************   After the 2nd time around we buy no more wedding gifts.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

What ever happened to Little House On The Prairie when you wore your Ma's dress to get married in!  Ha!

@jubilant

Shucks, Ma'am, those days are long gone.

And why would anyone want that, anyway?

********** You're darn tootin they are gone!! Ha!!!!!!  I would like it, however, if I could have my washer and dryer, stove, indoor plumbing, air conditioning, computer, dishwasher..............

@jubilant

OMG .... when I read "darn tootin" I nearly choked on a gulp of coffee!!   How funny!   Woman LOL

Well, I'm gonna mosey on over to the general store and get mah supplies .....   better get the horse saddled and be on mah way .....   'bye ma'am ....  lol

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

What ever happened to Little House On The Prairie when you wore your Ma's dress to get married in!  Ha!

@jubilant

Shucks, Ma'am, those days are long gone.

And why would anyone want that, anyway?

********** You're darn tootin they are gone!! Ha!!!!!!  I would like it, however, if I could have my washer and dryer, stove, indoor plumbing, air conditioning, computer, dishwasher..............

@jubilant

OMG .... when I read "darn tootin" I nearly choked on a gulp of coffee!!   How funny!   Woman LOL

Well, I'm gonna mosey on over to the general store and get mah supplies .....   better get the horse saddled and be on mah way .....   'bye ma'am ....  lol

*************  LOL!  HAPPY TRAILS!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Being the MOB and a widow, I picked up most of the tab; HOWEVER, I sat both of them down and gave them a budget.  Anything beyond that, they had to come up with - and they did.  MIL pulled out b/c things weren't going according to her wishes.  They are quite wealthy and their help would have been so appreciated.  At any rate, the wedding was beautiful and we have wonderful memories and pics.  Most importantly, the bride and groom were very pleased.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

It's a sympton of more money than sense, truly isn't it?

Frequent Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I've believed for a long time that there's a market opening for a one stop wedding center where every part of the wedding planning and execution would take place.

Excellent idea!

Honored Contributor

I grew up impressed by Cinderella, but knew it was simply a story for entertainment, and never once thought about my wedding as a fairy tale event.  

My husband and I wanted to get married at the local courthouse by a judge.  We actually got married in the neighborhood church up the road; small, no frills, close family and friends only, with a reception at my grandparents home.   Our wedding was what my mother, and mother-in-law wanted.   It was a battle of wills my husband and I were clearly not going to win, without causing severe friction, and hurting feelings, so I finally told my mom to do whatever she wanted, I was just going to show up.   

I simply wanted to marry my husband, and was not caught up with wearing a fancy dress or having a big party.  I didn't care what it looked like, what people might think, or who might feel left out.  I did not want an album full of fancy pictures.   I did not want my wedding made into "a thing".  

I am not impressed by big weddings.  I really don't get the point in turning a couples personal commitment to each other into "a thing".  

Esteemed Contributor

They'll only get bigger and bigger as everyone tries to outdo every wedding they've ever attended, been a part of, seen on television or heard about.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I ever get married, I want a small, simple ceremony.

Sure, I'll wear something nice, but not something that costs thousands of dollars, that I'm only going to wear once.

Yes, I'd like to have some photos of the day, but almost anybody can take pictures with their camera.

Small buffet style reception, with cds/mp3 for the music.

Big, lavish weddings are nice, if one can afford them, but small, weddings can be just as nice too, without breaking the bank.

eta: Besides, at my age (45) I think it would look silly to have the big, fancy, lavish wedding with all the trimmings anyway.

Honored Contributor

@newziesuzie

We spent less than $100 on our wedding. An inordinate amount spent on a wedding? Seems to me, unless you have unlimited funds, could be better spent keeping a marriage together.

I think that finance problems are "right up there" when it comes to the "why" of divorces. Have never understood it and never will get why so much money is spent on any wedding.

The fact that I am more practical when it comes to spending money, and we paid for our own, might help "get it" with my vision of a wedding.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)