Esteemed Contributor

Re: "We don't know who you are, so you can't purchase a [Hermes] Birkin Bag"

@newziesuzie wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@newziesuzie wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

I was watching a program on PBS and the person I was watching said that having entered a Hermes Boutique to purchase a Birkin bag, the sales associate told her, "We don't know who you are, so you can't purchase a [Hermes] Birkin bag."

This instance very quickly drew me back to other such instances that didn't turn out well at all for the vendor.

One vendor is allowed to refuse a sale without consequences.  Not so for others.

Kinda makes you think.

What PBS program?

(I came back to add

I just tried Google but only got

Oprah stories.)

Did this happen in the USA, 

@sfnative?

@newziesuzie

This was not a PBS news program, as one might think, hence your inability to find the source.

I very much admire this woman, who made a fantastic career in fashion by way of design and pattern making in NYC.  She has long brown hair (drop dead gorgeous) and has a program I watch once or twice a week on PBS.  (I hesitate to mention her name, but will simply say that she teaches the basics of fashion design, which I love.)  This is a program shown on PBS and produced in one of the 48 contiguous states.  (Wonder why that would be a question, unless my veracity was the issue.)

She has bucks and could very well have purchased the Birkin bag - no problem - except that the store pulled something very illegal on her: denying a purchase due to any reason beyond not having a means to pay for it.

@sfnative

I asked so I could read more about it

or see it because I was interested, I didn't 

have any idea that would be a problem to ask.

Im never sure why the assumption on these

boards is there's a negative intention.🤔  I

dont really understand all of your answer since 

so many of the PBS shows info are available

on line (we watch a lot too!😊) or why you 

wouldn't want to disclose the details (which

you don't have to and that's ok😊)  but 

posters ask questions when threads are 

started and honestly that's all I was doing.

Im not an "ulterior motive" person lol.

thanks for the reply and an interesting thread!

Its all good!

✌✌✌

@newziesuzie

I did not mean to offend.  As stated, I did not want to release her name on this forum, as anyone googling her name would be directed here, (one source then could turn my nic onto my really name, etc.), if there was ill toward her. This, of course, is an extreme example.

There was no article, to my knowledge, about the Birkin bag.  Simply heard her relate her experience on air.