Esteemed Contributor

Re: "We don't know who you are, so you can't purchase a [Hermes] Birkin Bag"

I honestly believe that I would never buy one of those bags even if I could easily afford it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It isn't just Hermes but lots of luxury brands too. In the past one of my friends and I who is really into Chanel had gone to a couple of Chanel stores and bought some things in the past. She asked me about a yr ago to purchase something for her and she would give me the cash. They have a certain amount a person can spend in a year and they track it by CC or address. They don't want their items flooding the market and losing their appeal. Pretty snobby. I told her she was nuts, and no I would not do that and I honestly don't know why anyone would want to spend money at a place like that.

Same thing happened to Jay Z. He drank Cristal champagne and it was favored by rappers. The director of Cristol was asked what he thought about it being so favored by rappers. He said what can you do? We can't forbid them to buy it but I am sure Krug and Dom P would be delighted to have their business. He pulled all of their products out of his 40/40 club and promoted Ace of Spades (Armand de Brignac) in some of his videos and put them in his club. Ace of Spade which  is known to be a lesser champagne but due to his promotion their sales were out of control. Foolish of Cristal.

People think Americans are racists? Check out Italy, France, Germany etc... You would be shocked. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

My dad bought a Ford Galaxy 500 - I loved driving that car.  It was so big and it was a beautiful ice blue color.  I think he got that color knowing that it would entice me to wash it every week.

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Honored Contributor

@AnotherView2 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

I own a few Hermes bags as well as scarves and jewelry. One of the things I find disgusting about the brand is that attitude of having to "kiss up to the sales person". You can go on a wait-list but there is NO guarantee you'll ever get one. Why? Because they sell to those who have "proven" themselves to the salesperson, meaning, they have spent a LOT of money on stuff. It can take years to gain that level of "being good enough" and I just.....can't.

Chanel can be just as bad, trust me. It's all part of the game and when playing in that league (exclusive and expensive), the rules are NOT the same as what the majority of us are used to.

You own some Hermes on purpose even though you find things about the brand "disgusting?"  Personally, I would never stoop low enough to kiss up to a salesperson.  They are there to serve me, not the other way around.

Like I said, it's a different world when shopping at that level. You think people just walk in to exclusive anything and just get it? Ok. Keep on believing that, lol.

Beyond that thought; many of the high end "names" didn't act this way until well..80's? Why? Because the "masses" instead of the old money (but not necessarily the famous) were buying the bags or COPIES of the bags. So, retailers started playing these games. You didn't bother to ask me when I bought my items or if I even bought them at all; perhaps they were gifts. Perhaps they were handed down....

Keep on making assumptions...: )

Trusted Contributor

HERMES had a week long exhibit in Union Square here in San Francisco awhile back.  There were craftsmen and women (from France) showing the untalented-us  how they make ALL that beautiful stuff that is sold in Hermes stores.  Including Birkin Bags.  And those gorgeous scarves.  Interesting, talented, CHATTY crafty people.  I was there for hours watching and talking to those Hermes reps.  and they gave me a different mindset about Hermes.  It is just not about those snooty sales clerks...

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@AnotherView2 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

I own a few Hermes bags as well as scarves and jewelry. One of the things I find disgusting about the brand is that attitude of having to "kiss up to the sales person". You can go on a wait-list but there is NO guarantee you'll ever get one. Why? Because they sell to those who have "proven" themselves to the salesperson, meaning, they have spent a LOT of money on stuff. It can take years to gain that level of "being good enough" and I just.....can't.

Chanel can be just as bad, trust me. It's all part of the game and when playing in that league (exclusive and expensive), the rules are NOT the same as what the majority of us are used to.

You own some Hermes on purpose even though you find things about the brand "disgusting?"  Personally, I would never stoop low enough to kiss up to a salesperson.  They are there to serve me, not the other way around.

Like I said, it's a different world when shopping at that level. You think people just walk in to exclusive anything and just get it? Ok. Keep on believing that, lol.

Beyond that thought; many of the high end "names" didn't act this way until well..80's? Why? Because the "masses" instead of the old money (but not necessarily the famous) were buying the bags or COPIES of the bags. So, retailers started playing these games. You didn't bother to ask me when I bought my items or if I even bought them at all; perhaps they were gifts. Perhaps they were handed down....

Keep on making assumptions...: )

I definitely do agree with you in regard to this starting in the 80s with tv shows like Dallas, Dynasty, etc.. seeing how these monied families lived and wanted part of it. Previously this hadn't been seen by the masses and created a demand for it and deman for counterfeit because they couldn't afford the real items. Also WW2 contributed to this is a small way because the monied ladies of the US that visited Europe seasonally to get their wardrobes could no longer do so because of the war. 

Those shows created a demand for it and only got more and more prevalent in the 90s with shows like Sex in the City, etc... started showing a writer on her salary with the expensive wardrobe she had. That is an impossibilty to do without being in total debt . I just watched a great show detailing how both of those things created such a demand for these items in the middle classes and the luxury companies wanting to keep it exclusive. There was certainly little to no demand from the middle class wanting lines like Gucci, LV, Hermes, etc... in the early 19th century even close to the demand there is now. People who make $50k/yr wanting to spend thousands to tens of thousands on purses, luggage etc.. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

I honestly believe that I would never buy one of those bags even if I could easily afford it.

DITTO. The Birkin Bag was nothing special.

Honored Contributor

ed24939e-c0a1-4bb3-ae6e-95f835f38401.gif (360×270)

images/article/2013/08/10/julia-roberts-pretty-women-quote-text-typography-Favim.com-238867.gif (500×271)

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

Hi to you Rebecca,

Had my first experience with this in 1959 when I was only 19. Worked Graveyard shift at the time so I did most of my things in the mornings. Anyways!

I decided to buy my first brand new car. I went to a Ford dealer in our north end of the city, close to where we lived. Now I had a dirty factory job and I wore bib overalls to work, thus that is how I was dressed.

I had done a few other things prior to going to this showroom. There were several people looking at the time. Dressed better than this young hick kid, but I went there knowing I was going to buy a new 1960 Thunderbird, and also pay cash for it.

I got tired of being ignored for the best part of an hour so I said to 1of the salesman, "you want to sell me a car"? He said he would be right with me, sure he would! Another better dressed adult came in and guess where he went?

Now I was way more than annoyed so I said loud enough for everyone in the showroom and offices to hear me. " Is there anyone here that wants to sell me a car"? Out came a guy in a spiffy suit and he could not get me out of the showroom quick enough.

Turned out he was the sales manager and the son-in-law of the owner. So I dealt directly with him and told him I knew what their cost was for the T-Bird I wanted built for me, and I did. He said he would have to talk to Phil the owner. Phil wanted to see me in his office.

So Phil began talking with me about the car and financing. I told him I was going to pay cash so I don't need to hear about interest rates or anything other than him agreeing to my price and writing up the order to build my car. I told him no salesman would even approach me in the showroom and he was not a happy man.

Ordered that T-Bird and from that day on I went directly to Phil. I bought a new 1961 Starliner/a 1962 Galaxy 500 and several more cars from Phil. He also gave me his costs on parts for my race cars and big discounts to my friends that bought any car, new or used, from his company.

Now Rebecca, if you have made it this far? This is a true story to the detail. It's connection to your thread? Don't ignore people because of how they look, or say "who are you"? That day in 1959 is what those salesmen did and it cost one of them a bonus and all of them an buttocks chewing.

THE END!!!

Your Friend,

JOhn

a T-bird kinda like this one, John?  

1960_ford_thunderbird3.jpg (400×239)

Thoroughly-enjoyable story, BTW.  Cat Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

@newziesuzie wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

I was watching a program on PBS and the person I was watching said that having entered a Hermes Boutique to purchase a Birkin bag, the sales associate told her, "We don't know who you are, so you can't purchase a [Hermes] Birkin bag."

This instance very quickly drew me back to other such instances that didn't turn out well at all for the vendor.

One vendor is allowed to refuse a sale without consequences.  Not so for others.

Kinda makes you think.

What PBS program?

(I came back to add

I just tried Google but only got

Oprah stories.)

Did this happen in the USA, 

@sfnative?

@newziesuzie

This was not a PBS news program, as one might think, hence your inability to find the source.

I very much admire this woman, who made a fantastic career in fashion by way of design and pattern making in NYC.  She has long brown hair (drop dead gorgeous) and has a program I watch once or twice a week on PBS.  (I hesitate to mention her name, but will simply say that she teaches the basics of fashion design, which I love.)  This is a program shown on PBS and produced in one of the 48 contiguous states.  (Wonder why that would be a question, unless my veracity was the issue.)

She has bucks and could very well have purchased the Birkin bag - no problem - except that the store pulled something very illegal on her: denying a purchase due to any reason beyond not having a means to pay for it.