Trusted Contributor

When you look at the current list of "top hearted posts" and see "I Just Love Goats" and good old "Shabbat Shalom and Happy Weekend to All" among the top entries........you realize exactly how useful the new "heart" feature is!

If I had any decent emoticons to choose from, I'd be rolling my eyes here.

Honored Contributor

I'm not surprized Sunnys post got the top number of hearts. It's always gentle and kind and includes everyone. I would give it a heart in a second

The hearts don't do any harm, and some of the emotions look just plain mean to me

Honored Contributor

I really don't notice any of it.  Nobody has to use all the features of the board.  It's nice to choose the features you like and just ignore the rest.

If I were to get rid of any feature, instead of the heart thing that I don't even see, I'd get rid of the neon colored, ginormous, head-exploding, fonts.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: "Top Hearted Posts"

[ Edited ]

Hey........I certainly have no problem at all with the very nice "Happy Weekend" post.......but it's an old standard thread that's been around forever, and I don't see how "hearting" it or counting how many people have done so makes any difference at all.  Let alone how many people like goats (I personally love them and have a picture of a cute baby goat right here on my desk and a stuffed toy goat from a friend on a nearby chair......but I didn't take time to "heart"the goat thread.)  I think racking up kiddie "hearts" for posts is silly and gives the forums a junior high popularity contest feeling.  Not what I'm looking for here, for sure!

Honored Contributor

The hearts work like a "like" button and just let the poster know that it has been liked or Notifies you that they may have left a message.  It's not a bad thing unless you want it to be.  Why they show or keep a count is beyond me, but it does help in letting someone know they may or may not have a message and to return to that thread.  I'll heart you so that you can see.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Preds wrote:

The hearts work like a "like" button and just let the poster know that it has been liked or Notifies you that they may have left a message.  It's not a bad thing unless you want it to be.  Why they show or keep a count is beyond me, but it does help in letting someone know they may or may not have a message and to return to that thread.  I'll heart you so that you can see.

Exactly, @Preds

I'm very, very glad they removed those "leaderboards" for hearts and tage, because that was the part I didn't like.  I like the hearts because they allow us to  agree or show appreciation of a post without needing lots of extra comments with quotes and remarks like "ITA."  I also like that fact that we can use "Notifications" in the way you described, as a way to return to certain threads we had posted on earlier.

Features are what we make of them, and there never will be a system that's perfect or universally embraced as helpful.Robot Happy

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Top Hearted Posts"

[ Edited ]

I don't mind the "Top Hearted Posts", because you actually don't know from the list on the side which posts they're referring to on that thread unless you look through the thread.  It can be the OP's post on the thread that has the most number of hearts, or it may be another poster's response within that thread that has the most number of hearts.  

They did get rid of the "Top Hearted Authors" list, which I think seemed much more like a popularity thing.  

Esteemed Contributor

Actually, I do like the heart feature if it's used the way it's meant to be.  I enjoy letting people know that I like what they've posted or agree with it -- I don't always have a response other than simply  that I like what they said, and it takes less time.  In the old forum, people would quote the post, and then just put a "thumbs up" emotie in their post.  It cluttered up the threads, but it had a purpose.   (Of course, we don't have one now - Webbies, are you listening yet?) The heart does the same thing without the clutter. 

And to be perfectly honest, I also enjoy knowing that other people agree or like what I've said as well.  Let's face it, there have been times when most of us have felt that our comments were pretty much ignored.  It means something to me to know that some of the things I post are appreciated by others, they don't have to write out a comment. (Now, if we still had the little pink smiley with the hearts emotie, I would post it here!  Webbies????)

Valued Contributor

I don't mind using the hearts.  It's a whole lot easier than quoting a post I agree with just to say "I agree."  I think the Top Hearted Posts tally is unnecessary and a bit silly given the breadth of topics on these boards.  The fact that a WEN post has 50,000 hearts is not going to make me interested in it.  I am very glad however that they dropped the posting of "Top Hearted Authors."  If I heart your post, it means I agree with what you just said in that post, not that I agree with everything you've ever posted.  (And I'm not going to stalk you and look up all of your previous posts to find out!)

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Esteemed Contributor

While I was posting earlier, I got a pop-up message in my lower rt. hand corner of the screen.  This happened twice.  It said _____ has given you a heart (or something like that.  I don't see any hearts on any of my posts.

Should I feel sad?  Am I not looking at the right thing?  What?Smiley Embarassed