Honored Contributor

It runs counter to what we normally want to promote for a healthy society-- normally we want to encourage social interaction throughout life -- the benefits have been demonstrated again and again.

But now, distancing it's good!  For weeks I've been noticing some people out and about following the directives-- but now, more and more.  Today at the pharmacy, we were all eyeing each other and trying to (politely) keep our distance...

There is now social disapproval of large gatherings, like the ones revelers have been having in New Orleans and in Mexico City.  Big gatherings are only going to impede efforts to suppress spread of the virus.

It is a huge sacrifice for sure.  Prohibitions on gatherings of 25 people or more, wipes out most churches and places of worship of all kinds.  But people will find a way to compensate, for as long as it takes, I believe.

I keep thinking of the resiliency of those who went through the Depression and two World Wars, and yes, rampaging epidemics and pandemics.  They're an inspiration. 

Honored Contributor

Seems we as a society has been social distancing for a while.   We communicate by social media, order online to be delivered instead of shopping in person.   Bank by internet.  

Respected Contributor

Yes,we should look at our grandparents and parents (in my case) as examples of dealing with adversity. I think my grandmother might have lost a baby when the influenza struck Philadelphia. Both my grandparents and parents persevered through the Depression and WW2. I remember them talking about the shortages, doing without and having the same low cost meals (potato soup comes to mind) on a regular basis during the Depression. When it looked like they were getting back on their feet, along comes WW2 and rationing. They got through it and were some of the most generous, kind-hearted people you'd ever want to meet. Back then, they didn't have any idea when their adversities would end. Not to downplay today's pandemic, but at least we know there's a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Honored Contributor

What a thoughtful post, @Eileen in Virginia -- knowing our history in this regard is very helpful in present circumstances.

Throughout this whole thing, I'm struck by the contrast of those who choose to be constructive, and those who mysteriously seem to be not.  (If that is grammatical, ha.)

Honored Contributor

Tonight, Tucker had on a very interesting, very thoughtful Italian doctor, who said unequivocally that social distancing is the key to avoiding the horrendous experience Italy has been having.  He said, if the Italians had done that stringently earlier on, they wouldn't be at such a difficult juncture now.

He said it wasn't as clear early on the absolutely vital role social distancing would play in this particular virus, but now they know how essential it is. 

Esteemed Contributor

received_220682935787898.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I am a people person, surrounded by many friends and family.  I like to socialize, always have since I was a child.  

With that being said and knowing there is a crisis going on I am staying in doors most of the time and only going out if absolutely necessary.  For me it is not so easy isolating myself but certainly in these times you have to sacrifice for your own good and for the good of others.  

Honored Contributor

True, @spiderw ,  this ordeal is probably easier for introverts to endure than extraverts.  The special sacrifice that extraverts have to make is all the more appreciated!

Honored Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

Yes,we should look at our grandparents and parents (in my case) as examples of dealing with adversity. I think my grandmother might have lost a baby when the influenza struck Philadelphia. Both my grandparents and parents persevered through the Depression and WW2. I remember them talking about the shortages, doing without and having the same low cost meals (potato soup comes to mind) on a regular basis during the Depression. When it looked like they were getting back on their feet, along comes WW2 and rationing. They got through it and were some of the most generous, kind-hearted people you'd ever want to meet. Back then, they didn't have any idea when their adversities would end. Not to downplay today's pandemic, but at least we know there's a light at the end of the tunnel. 

@Eileen in Virginia  bless you for your post.  I am the youngest child of an older family and was lucky enough to hear/share these experiences so what is happening now does not frighten me as I know we as a people will persevere.  Thank you again for sharing.

Esteemed Contributor

I expect that in 9 months, there will be a baby boom.

So much for "social distancing" .

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.