Honored Contributor

What do you think of this idea?

Excerpt:

COLUMBUS, Ohio—Ohio sales tax would no longer be charged for tampons and other feminine products purchased in the state, under legislation overwhelmingly passed by the Ohio House of Representatives on Wednesday.

https://www.cleveland.com/politics/2018/12/ohio-house-passes-pink-tax-exemption-on-tampons-feminine-...

Honored Contributor

It's fine as long as people realize that there was never a "tampon tax"-that feminine hygiene products were taxed on par with other taxable items.

Some think that there is a specific tax for such items and that is incorrect.

They are essential health items and should be tax free.  This country is just catching up; Kenya abolished this tax 14 years ago.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3

Just the tax is a substantial chunk of change, per the article.

The average woman will spend over $11,000 on tampons during her lifetime -- about $632 in state sales tax at the current state rate of 5.75 percent.

Respected Contributor

Snort! Is that really what they are calling it? I get that it for ladies, so that is pink. But I also am reminded that a certain private area  is also referred to as pink in p#rn.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Good news but too late for me.Can I get a refund?

Honored Contributor

It's a numbers game.  The state still needs revenue so some other tax will need to be raised to offset the loss.  Another consideration, are men going to get same benefit on condoms?  If not, why not?

Esteemed Contributor

Dare I hope that OTC b##thcontol is also not taxed?

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Cakers3

Just the tax is a substantial chunk of change, per the article.

The average woman will spend over $11,000 on tampons during her lifetime -- about $632 in state sales tax at the current state rate of 5.75 percent.

@lolakimono  I can see it now-removing tax from feminine hygiene products will be the downfall of our states and oh heck why not-the downfall of the whole country.  How silly.

I recognize how much revenue will be lost but so what.  Let the states that play with our money as though it can just be printed without restraint take a hard look at where our tax $$ is spent.  And that goes up the top, if you get my drift.

Some states do not tax these products anyway and I don't see those states drifting off into financial h*ll.  If they are, it's because of poor management, not because women menstruate.

Lawd.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: "Pink Tax" Exemption

[ Edited ]

The condom/birth control argument is always

presented as a male equivalent.  It’s not.  

‘What about toilet paper?’  We all use toilet paper.

’What about razors?  We all use razors.

‘What about’, ‘What about’, ‘What about’.....

There is no male equivalent to a regular bodily function.

Female menstration is not a choice.

Honored Contributor

It is a sexist law.  What about toilet paper?  It is essential.  Sorry but I think this is an unfair tax break.  What if it were a men only tax?  Would it stand a chance?  No.   Children only? Yes.  Short people?  Tall people?  Diabetics?  Where does it all end and how is it fair?