Respected Contributor

Re: press coverage/hurricane

I think the major news outlets cover major hurricanes with quite a bit of coverage as they are approaching in order to help warn the public & hopefully give people information they need to prepare.  They of course usually cover the storm hitting, but I don't remember too many times when they covered the storm when it had dissipated down to minimal hurricane strength or tropic storm levels.

Of course, that is generally not too long after it makes land fall and this storm brushed the edge of the coast as it moved up the coast & didn't technically make landfall as it traveled along the Florida & Georgia coast.

And this darn hurricane covered quite a bit of territory!   I don't think the national news stations have enough people to station throughout the various locations of all of the states this storm hit.   

I feel so sorry for those impacted by this storm.  And North Carolina has really been hit with the rain & horrible flooding.  Just heart breaking. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

Jmo but those affected depend more on local coverage than national.

If lookers-on want to see 24/hr coverage watch TWC.
Respected Contributor

Well I live in St. Augustine, Fl and you can google some photographs of what Matthew did to our area. Many have lost their homes. To us it was very major. The streets are piled now with fallen trees and it is sad to see people trying to dry out personal items. 

Respected Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

people have family all over and want to be informed -  and we are all one country.  if you stopped with info on  Florida, you had an entirely different view of the damage caused by Matthew than if you were aware of what happened in the Carolinas which was awfully serious. 11 deaths in North Carolina alone.   awful.

Honored Contributor

This is very serious to some and others will only have a passing interest if they have no family or friends in the area.  

The national news has covered it on the west coast every night, but there's always more information online if you want to know more.   The media can't report on JUST a hurricane ... it's a big story, but it's not the only story.

Esteemed Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

people have family all over and want to be informed -  and we are all one country.  if you stopped with info on  Florida, you had an entirely different view of the damage caused by Matthew than if you were aware of what happened in the Carolinas which was awfully serious. 11 deaths in North Carolina alone.   awful.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Yes it is awful. The point is coverage has not stopped. It's still covered on the national news, local news and TWC. (The Weather Channel is national.)

Honored Contributor

Here are some of the national top stories.... Kim Kardashian not doing well after robbery Obama wants to send humans to Mars Italy Halts Rome Bid for 2024 Olympics....
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lila Belle wrote:

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Yes it is awful. The point is coverage has not stopped. It's still covered on the national news, local news and TWC. (The Weather Channel is national.)

actually that wasn't my point at all. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It was bad one but not the worst we've ever seen and while sadly there were a few deaths.  It pales in comparison to what happened and is still happening in Haiti. That's what the media should be focusing on. 

@chrystaltree, so in your opinion it has to be really bad with lots of people dying for the media to focus on it???  I remember when the "Sandy" hit the NY/ NJ area, and that was all you could here, you would have thought it was the first hurricane the US has ever had!!!   But Matthew was in the South, so I guess that makes the difference!!!

ETA:  I've watched the Weather Channel to get updates on the people affected by Matthew!

Honored Contributor

Hurricane Matthew is not so much on the television networks but it is on the Internet and in print newspapers. I read about the states affected all day long, it's in my newsfeed on fb as well as the news sites that I read every day. There is very good reporting being done but unfortunately it's no longer in the headlines.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson