Respected Contributor

Re: press coverage/hurricane

@RedTop wrote:

I watched many hours of hurricane coverage on The Weather Channel this weekend.   I was surprised by the heavy traffic on I-95 yesterday afternoon, of people trying to get home so soon after the storm.   I heard nothing from city, county, or state officials saying it was clear for anyone to return yet.   The announcement of county offices and schools being closed, should have been enough to let people know the road situations, no power, etc., made conditions unfavorable to come back just yet.   The WC employees were interviewing people in their cars, who had been in the slow moving traffic for 3+ hours.   They were being detoured off Exit 19 at Lumberton, NC, thru the narrow streets of town to connect to Highway 17.   That area had no power, so there were no gas stations open.

I was very shocked that people who were asked to evacuate, did not go farther west into NC to find a place to stay, but stayed in motels close to I-95 where they still encountered many storm related problems.   The Quality Inn motel rooms on ground level flooded, and those  people had to be rescued.  Those people found themselves in the same type of situation, than if they had stayed home.   Many had their vehicles flooded and washed away, and were still stranded, waiting to be taken to a shelter.

I was also shocked to hear a 911 call where a daughter was trying to get her parents rescued from their home.   The parents had refused to leave, even tho the man is in a wheelchair.   As soon as ocean water reached their yard, the woman realized they were in trouble, and called her daughter.   I felt really bad for the daughter trying to get her parents rescued, and for the parents who were scared and helpless, but wonder why people can't figure out their risk in advance.   

Hre in the Carolinas people are still being asked to shelter in place. River flooding and road washouts are still a major problem.

As for the elderly people who refused to evacuate until too late-" poor planning.... The daughter should have insisted they leave. Once the storm became too bad even 1st responders couldnt go out.

Esteemed Contributor

I have to disagree with those who say the national news dropped the ball after the storm left FL.  Every news channel was still covering it well into last night and today as well.

Respected Contributor

now 21  confirmed dead.  

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Our friends who live on Hilton Head Island in SC evacuated but their neighbors were able to text them as soon as the storm passed to tell them that everything was fine - roofs were intact and no flooding so they were all ready to return home until they heard some roads were closed due to bridge inspections today. Instead of dealing with detours they are waiting one more day.Their electric is still off though.

Residents may return to Bluffton but Hilton Head Island is still closed to returning residents.  

Honored Contributor

I was seeing 24 hours a day coverage on the cable news channels for a few days, all the way until it had gone down to a category 1.

I figured that the weather channel was also covering it.

While coverage is good and necessary, I found it rather odd and it was 24 hours a day for so long.  It was like nothing else was happening in the world - well, until that one thing.  Smiley Wink

Anyway, I hope it has long passed.  It was so slow-moving and those can be more harsh than others.   Before it got to the states, I saw that it had gone down to a cat3 and then it went back up to cat4 and that made it more sary for a while ther.

I can't imagine, not having lived in an area that has these weather events.  But they have gotten so much better, over the years, at watching them and letting people know what's going on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

I don't understand your point, if you want local coverage, livestream the local TV coverage on your computer.

Or go to the websites of locat TV coverage in the area you are searching.

So sad to know how many people died in NC despite all the warnings.   Tragic.

@software

Why should someone have to livestream tv coverage ????? What are the national newscasters and national news channels in business for....to report on Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's divorce perhaps??????......but a major disaster isn't news worthy enough for them....that is what the op is saying!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The media has an agenda...and a hurricane is not what they want to report on at this time.......I miss the newscasters of the past, they reported the news, that was it.....at least that is what I recall

Honored Contributor

Maybe people in California or Oregon don't care to know what is happening in North Carolina 24/7.

@Spurt wrote:

@software wrote:

I don't understand your point, if you want local coverage, livestream the local TV coverage on your computer.

@software

Why should someone have to livestream tv coverage what are the national newscasters and national news channels in business for....to report on Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's divorce perhaps??????......but a major disaster isn't news worthy enough for them....that is what the op is saying!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

Maybe people in California or Oregon don't care to know what is happening in North Carolina 24/7.

@Spurt wrote:

@software wrote:

@software

Why should someone have to livestream tv coverage what are the national newscasters and national news channels in business for....to report on Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's divorce perhaps??????......but a major disaster isn't news worthy enough for them....that is what the op is saying!!!

@software wrote:

@software    Well excuse those of us that want to know what's going on in the country .....or may have friends/relatives living in the impacted area or do business with a company in the impacted area or just have a heart for people that might be in danger and need help!!!.....And why it still may even impact even west coasters....if a lot of homes/businesses are damaged it could cause lumber prices to rise throughout the entire U.S. because the demand and impact home and renovations prices in your area.............And the next time California has an earthquake they shouldn't bother with boring the rest of the country either from what your saying.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

This stupid political campaign is overshadowing everything else.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment