Honored Contributor

💲ocial 💲ecurity - 2018

Social Security beneficiaries are projected to receive a 2.2% cost-of-living increase next year, the most since 2011, the trustees who oversee the program said Thursday.

That would be about $30 a month for the average retired worker. But It's a relative bonanza compared to the 0.3% adjustment for this year and the unchanged paychecks in 2016. The cost of living adjustments have been low because of unusually weak inflation in recent years.

Social Security officials will release the official cost-of-living increase for Social Security recipients in October

Meanwhile, the trust fund that pays Social Security benefits to 61 million Americans is projected to be depleted by 2034,faint.gif the same forecast as last year, but the solvency of funds for disability and Medicare benefits has improved somewhat, the Social Security Board of Trustees said Thursday.

Benefits for recipients would be cut if nothing is done before 2034 to shore up the Social Security fund. At that time, there would be enough income to pay 77% of scheduled benefits.

“It is time for the public to engage in the important national conversation about how to keep Social Security strong,” said Nancy Berryhill, acting commissioner of Social Security.

The Social Security disability trust fund is in better shape than the combined reserves and is now projected to be depleted in 2028, compared to last year’s estimate of 2023. And the Medicare trust fund is expected to run out in 2029, a year later than last year’s forecast.

While the combined trust funds increased by $35 billion in 2016 to a total $2.85 trillion and will continue to grow through 2021, the total annual cost of the program is projected to exceed income beginning in 2022, Social Security officials said.

Social Security paid $911 billion in benefits in 2016.

LINK TO ARTICLE

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: 💲ocial 💲ecurity - 2018

It's simple to fix SS - a no brainer really - simply repay the trillions of dollars that were "BORROWED" by the federal government to pay for the wars in the miseast and the tax cuts.

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

It's simple to fix SS - a no brainer really - simply repay the trillions of dollars that were "BORROWED" by the federal government to pay for the wars in the miseast and the tax cuts.

Since it's "a no brainer" could you please explain how to "simply repay trillions of dollars"?  How do they "simply" come up with trillions of dollars?  

Honored Contributor

an increase is good!

Esteemed Contributor

Medicare will simply increase the cost of premiums to eat up the "raise" in SS benefits

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well that is nice news for a change.  I still don't trust how they figure. "cost of living adjustments have been low because of unusually weak inflation in recent years."  May-be they don't purchase the same things I do.

Seems to me, prices of everything that affect our budget have been slowly going up over the past two years.  Subtle increases but overall they add up and erode at spendable income.  But that is a fact of life, what goes up usually never comes down.

From what I briefly read, the existing Medicare premium is to stay unchanged.

I don't receive social security, and haven't researched if the increase will also be applied to my federal pension.  Sometimes it does, other times we get excluded.

Valued Contributor

That and a dollar will get you a cup of Starbucks.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC inappropriate

Valued Contributor

Sadly, that's what they usually do.

"I never changed, I just learned."