Reply
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

We had fun with our high school hair - now how about class rings. Did you buy one? Do you still have it? What does/did it look like?

Mine was a rectangular shaped stone - they said it is sapphire but I doubt that. There is the school emblem on the top. I went to South Hills High School so instead of it saying all that it just has SHHS.Then it has 19 on one side and 66 on the other side.I still have it but it is a size 4 so I can't wear it except on my pinky finger. 

I couldn't afford to buy a ring  in nursing school,but my Grandma went to my same school and I have her class ring, and her school pin, as well as my own.

 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,762
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

I think I have a HS ring and I know I have a college ring, it is a very recognizable design, in fact many years ago I was getting off the shuttle boat in the Bahamas and a woman asked if it was a Hunter college ring and it was.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,894
Registered: ‎04-20-2013

I love class rings.  I went to a small private HS and there were no rings.  In Nursing School, I took mine off to wash my hands in our nurses residence and someone stole it....I just couldn't ask my Dad to buy another as funds were tight then.  When I went back to school later in life, I was so excited to finally get a class ring....but, I still have been looking on eBay to possibly find a ring from my nursing school, now closed.  It was a black onyx stone with a caduceus in gold ...I loved that ring....I hope the person that took it had bad luck

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,894
Registered: ‎04-20-2013

@I am still oxox wrote:

I think I have a HS ring and I know I have a college ring, it is a very recognizable design, in fact many years ago I was getting off the shuttle boat in the Bahamas and a woman asked if it was a Hunter college ring and it was.


@I am still oxox- Hunter in NYC? 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,741
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

High school has a square green stone, college has a round tiger's eye stone.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

When I was in high school I wanted my boyfriend's class ring in the worst kind of way but he said he wanted to wear it a little while first, and he'd give it to me in the fall when he left for college. Well, he lost it about 3 weeks after he got it. I told him if he had given it to me I wouldn't have lost it. I recall being really mad at him, and so was his Mom.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,762
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@Stray  Yes, it is part of the CUNY system, at 68th  Street & Park Ave, it was originally a women's only school with a campus in the Bronx now Lehman college and the building at Park and 68th. My Mom went there in the 40's and spent two years uptown in the Bronx and two years at Park Ave.

 


@Stray wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

I think I have a HS ring and I know I have a college ring, it is a very recognizable design, in fact many years ago I was getting off the shuttle boat in the Bahamas and a woman asked if it was a Hunter college ring and it was.


@I am still oxox- Hunter in NYC? 


 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,747
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Bought it my Jr. year in high school (1979) and still wear now from time to time when feeling sentimental.  When I got married I had it sized from my ring finger on my right hand to a pinkie ring.   Has the Red stone for the school color, my first name on it, the year 1980 and a Drill Team Dancer for my main extracurricular activity of high school.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,179
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

No high school ring. I have my college ring.

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 463
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Stray  Yes, it is part of the CUNY system, at 68th  Street & Park Ave, it was originally a women's only school with a campus in the Bronx now Lehman college and the building at Park and 68th. My Mom went there in the 40's and spent two years uptown in the Bronx and two years at Park Ave.

 

I have my Hunter/Lehman ring from 1970.  We were the first graduating class after the name change.  I remember a bunch of us organizing a 'sit in' to protest the name change...but the Lehman family donated a lot of money.