Esteemed Contributor

new Amazon offer. Unlimited Kindle books for $10.00 a month

I am all over that!
Honored Contributor

Re: new Amazon offer. Unlimited Kindle books for $10.00 a month

I will definitely check that out. Thanks for the heads up.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

what is the difference between this and a Kindle and borrowing with that?

I heard that you can borrow on any platform with this but it works out to $120/year that alot of money and the library is free.

Not trying to start a fight here but just food for thought.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/19/2014 jackthebear said:

I heard that you can borrow on any platform with this but it works out to $120/year that alot of money and the library is free.

True, but I like to own my books and I like to read them when I want, not wait weeks/months for the library to have one available. Yes, there are often waits even for ebooks!

The cost of ebooks keeps me from buying/reading many of them so this might be something I will do! If you read one a week this is a good deal. And some books can be loaned to others so I loan to my mom and save her the expense. I'm her library Smiley Wink

KJPA
Trusted Contributor

Oh, KathyPet, thanks for the notice!

KJPA
Trusted Contributor

Just noticed the unlimited library is limited. Not all publishers are participating....yet. I will keep my eye on this as the idea is that it's similar to Netflix for readers Smiley Wink

If I decide to go with this it will be a big deal as I currently have two Nooks! I will have to buy a Kindle Smiley Wink Nah, I can download the Kindle app to my iPad. Smiley Wink

KJPA
Honored Contributor

On 7/19/2014 KJPA said:
On 7/19/2014 jackthebear said:

True, but I like to own my books and I like to read them when I want, not wait weeks/months for the library to have one available. Yes, there are often waits even for ebooks!

The cost of ebooks keeps me from buying/reading many of them so this might be something I will do! If you read one a week this is a good deal. And some books can be loaned to others so I loan to my mom and save her the expense. I'm her library Smiley Wink

I only do ebooks under five bucks, too cheap.

use my library for everything else. I was talking about library for print books as well as ebooks.

There is a company called Oyster doing the same thing I am sure Amazon is doing this to put them out of business.

Respected Contributor

I'm definitely trying this. I must spend that much or more a month on books. I try to keep all Kindle purchases below $4 a book. I loaded up the Kindle before vacation (long flights, went to Russia) and I had some great reading along with me. But I read about five to ten books a week.

Kindle Unlimited is a very good deal. I own a lot of the books they are offering and they are good ones, not trash or self-published. I get Bookbub, which is semi-ok and Midline which is not very good. The Kindle Daily deals have been so-so.

This is a far better deal--for example, you can get Water for Elephants, and I just read the Golem and the Jinni which I really highly recommend. This is a love story set in 1900's Lower East Side New York City, with a female golem (a clay Frankenstein monster that obeys its master) and a jinni (the Arab spirit of many powers, you know, 1001 Arabian Nights fairy tales.) The golem and the jinni are both immigrants in a way, and they are entangled amazingly in the lives of the Syrian and Jewish immigrants in NYC. Loved it.

Super Contributor

I saw that yesterday and checked out the titles and they're not the sort of books I read.

Honored Contributor

On 7/19/2014 Campion said:

I'm definitely trying this. I must spend that much or more a month on books. I try to keep all Kindle purchases below $4 a book. I loaded up the Kindle before vacation (long flights, went to Russia) and I had some great reading along with me. But I read about five to ten books a week.

Kindle Unlimited is a very good deal. I own a lot of the books they are offering and they are good ones, not trash or self-published. I get Bookbub, which is semi-ok and Midline which is not very good. The Kindle Daily deals have been so-so.

This is a far better deal--for example, you can get Water for Elephants, and I just read the Golem and the Jinni which I really highly recommend. This is a love story set in 1900's Lower East Side New York City, with a female golem (a clay Frankenstein monster that obeys its master) and a jinni (the Arab spirit of many powers, you know, 1001 Arabian Nights fairy tales.) The golem and the jinni are both immigrants in a way, and they are entangled amazingly in the lives of the Syrian and Jewish immigrants in NYC. Loved it.

Have you read Snow In August by Pete Hamill? also about the Golem in New York, it is a wonderful book, magical realism.