Respected Contributor

Hi. Deep, If I can figure out a way to move back to New England, the house I live in won't be anywhere near perfect with my budget; but I am happy to fix things up--or adapt.  As long as it is peaceful and quiet, I can clean it up.  The house I live in now is very shaky, poor thing, and yet I really have come to love the house.  I wish I could just teleport it, shakiness and all, to Mass or Maine or Vermont. 

Autumn is what I miss most (besides family members), such wonderful weather and colors. 

Respected Contributor

Hello, evom,  I love Fort Lauderdale, but I don't know the area to the north at all well.  I have two friends now living up there on the Treasure and Space coasts who report intense boredom, but they don't miss the city bustle, either. 

I like to use the comparison costs on AreaVibes, just to get a sense of what income would be required regularly to get by in a new place.  Florida looks cheap, but I pay a lot in insurance these days--five times as much as people pay in Maine.  Utilities tend to be low where I live, but very, very high in New England.  Lots of people live off the grid in Maine, but . . . I don't know.  That's a lot of work and a steep learning curve.  

If you've already had homes in two places, you know about the variable COL (cost of living) already.  The various states just have different areas where unusual expenses may happen. 

I wish you success in finding a new place that suits you perfectly.