Trusted Contributor

wehave voa here andi am calling them to give them names ofpeople that they maybe able to help each day

Honored Contributor

Re: my heart breaks

[ Edited ]

What a good thread.  Yes, being homeless is a real problem all over our country.

We had just 2 nights ago a young man that spent the night on the steps to the 2nd floor right outside my back door.  Found out that he had been seen hanging around all that day.  Had a black backpack.  Left it under the steps going up to the back door in the building across from my building.  He was all dressed in black and wore a black hoodie.  Someone got a good look at him.....said he was young....apparently some where between 27 and 31, white, and had a bleached beard.  Apparently he had tried some of the doors for a vacant apartment...which there aren't any here.  He was seen sleeping by the woman upstairs from me.....she didn't call the police.  She was going downstairs at 7:00 in the morning to do a load of laundry before going to work.  She ran back up to here apartment.  The when she left for work at around 8:15, he was standing at the back door on the inside.  Moved away from the door when he saw her, and said excuse me....held the door open for her.  She said she got out of sight as fast as she could.  That same day, one of the tenants in the building across from me went down to get her mail.  Saw something on the ground outside the door.  It was a syringe, went up to get her phone to take a picture of it.  She took the picture to show to the landlord.....  Apparently the woman upstairs heard something like her door knob being tried....about 4 times during the night.  If that had been me, I would have called 911.  The landlord had been notified about this young man sleeping in the hall, and he said the police should have been called.  They don't do anything about these kinds of goings on at any of the buildings the rent....here, or any place else.

The police were notified (by me), and they are now patrolling our area during the night.  Let me say this.....this is not a bad part of the county, mostly residential with very few apartment buildings.....  I have lived in this building for over 20 years now, and this is the first time something like this has happened.  

Honored Contributor

Absolutely it is the government that needs to step up its game. I'm not talking about handouts but a total revision of how to deal with this exponentially increasing disaster.

We need people with vision and guts to imagine solutions that will benefit all of us. There is no one homeless problem -- it's a myriad of problems from the increasing divide between wealth and poverty, the stagnant middle-class, the loss of jobs for many reasons, addiction, disease, lack of a social cohesion, and on and on.

This isn't going away by itself. We can't just avert our eyes. We're all in this together.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@shortbreadlover wrote:

i aam not sure that i understand what you mean by your reply.  please explain if you don't mind.

Private ownership motivated by accumulation of profit.

Hmmmm, is that why Josef Stalin owned dozens of luxury dachas(villas) throughout the Soviet Union?

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@shortbreadlover wrote:

i aam not sure that i understand what you mean by your reply.  please explain if you don't mind.

Hmmmm, is that why Josef Stalin owned dozens of luxury dachas(villas) throughout the Soviet Union?

@maestra  You've got it.  Stalin wasn't the only one, either, as you know.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Absolutely it is the government that needs to step up its game. I'm not talking about handouts but a total revision of how to deal with this exponentially increasing disaster.

We need people with vision and guts to imagine solutions that will benefit all of us. There is no one homeless problem -- it's a myriad of problems from the increasing divide between wealth and poverty, the stagnant middle-class, the loss of jobs for many reasons, addiction, disease, lack of a social cohesion, and on and on.

This isn't going away by itself. We can't just avert our eyes. We're all in this together.

@suzyQ3 wrote:

You sound like you're running for office. No shade, just my opinion.

Respected Contributor

Some homeless folks are mentally ill.  Some are addicts. Some are runaways from bad home situations. 

I live in a small town with rural areas on the outskirts. There are food cupboards run by local churches here and a Christian group that regularly distributes food and clothing. I’ve never seen anyone sleeping out on the streets here but I have seen long lines waiting for food to be distributed. 

Honored Contributor

The homeless are used as pawns.  Once certain times have pased, the homeless are put back on the back burner until the next round.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

You sound like you're running for office. No shade, just my opinion.

@maestra, I don't understand your response.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: my heart breaks

[ Edited ]

@maestra wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@shortbreadlover wrote:

@maestra, again I'm confused. Are you saying that communism doesn't really end up with equality? That it isn't a panacea in which everybody thrives?

Of course it isn't. No one is suggesting that. Don't we all know that the baser nature of man always rears its ugly head? One professes one thing for all but grabs everything he can get for himself.

Our system is supposed to allow freedom but not laissez-faire or dog eat dog. We are a capitalistic society with rules that ensure some fairness. Or at least that's the ideal. But we seem to be regressing in that regard.

Yes, I know that you disagree with me. S'all good. :-)