Honored Contributor

Yes, I do Sherrikay!!!!!!  Thank you so much for your response and a big hi five to you too!  I hope the workers make strides and get their due, I am walking with them!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam 

This strike is may not be solely over monetary issues, I really don't know. Don't know how closely you follow the national news, but last week it was very evident, in 1 particular industry, it had absolutely nothing to do with a monetary issue.

Call them whatever you choose, but brace yourself. Unless some things change in the very short term future, everyone will probably find many things and places harder to get, and harder to access.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

It's my understanding they make $30.00 an hour currently, the rejected offer offer was a 5 to 6% immediate raise.There are plently of workers "arriving" that would be thrilled with those wages.

@kitcat51 

What do you mean by "arriving"?  Having worked in manufacturing for 33 years, most considered "unskilled jobs ", this I can tell you.

All the "unskilled" jobs I worked, there was not a single one where any worker could become proficient at doing so in 1 day. One job I worked took years to really understand the mechanics and the why and what'fors, machines did a "this" or a "that".

I trained men coming to 1 specific job, and 2 out of 3 opted to return to their lower paying jobs because of the complexity of learning this job. Most said "I thought this job looked easy", so I wanted the upgrade.

There are many things in life where many individuals make it look "easy", that is only because they are so good at what they do. Ever watch an Olympic Figure Skater that make what they are  doing look so natural and easy?  Listen to their breathing when interviewed when stepping off the ice. Self explanatory.

"Arriving"!  Hmmm!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

arriving......with experience?

My thoughts exactly!  I think $30.00 an hour with benefits would be a decent salary.  Trying being self employed, finding and paying your own insurance.

@Mom2Dogs 

I had several opportunities to be "self employed", but I chose a job i worked 8 hours/punched out, and forgot about the job. Likely would have made much more $$$, but!

I preferred leaving my job, at the job, in lieu of pocketing more money, in exchange for living a life unable to leave my job at the time clock.

I am assuming you know someone has their own business and know what it involves. I did however run my adult hockey league for 52 years, with nothing delegated to others.

That however was also 1 of my 2 big hobbies, what were where I wanted my mind to be after "punching the clock". Running my league had every aspect of running my "own business", however it was not my sole source of income.

Like many things in life, to a lot of us the old saying applies: "the grass looks greener on the other side".

There are many jobs I would not have taken for $30 per hour plus benefits. Why? Because they would interfere with me living my life.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor
I hear ya. And while we’re on the subject what about pharmaceutical companies? They make a boat load profit. I think many companies have to answer to their stock holders.
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Their job, their business. Experienced workers are worth a wage increase.

I agree, and it is proven that money does not trickle down from the top.  Companies make big money, It stays with the higher ups, not the people who are actually doing the hard work.  Workers are just getting tired of the infairness.  It would make sense for the company to give them what they want.  It is profitable company they can afford to give a little.