Super Contributor

Re: if you sale on Ebay - big change!

On 9/17/2014 occasional rain said:
On 9/17/2014 Qwackertoo said:

That is ridiculous!

Why even bother having the setting on the page for the eBay item, Buyer must notify seller within "blank" days . . . I set mine to 14.

45 is plenty.

Heck 14 is plenty.

Around 180 days they could have transferred all their money to their bank account, made up a new ID and moved on . . . STUPID policy.

Apparently you have never bought something on Ebay from a foreign country. Sometimes it takes longer than 45 days for it to arrive. To avoid the problem of a buyer missing the 45 day deadline or filing within the 45 and then having to cancel when the item arrives, Ebay has extended it. Makes sense to me.

Nope, I buy from USA sellers. And I don't sell outside the USA. Maybe they should ONLY extend it for foreign sales. Still think it is a STUPID policy. Heck even the banks ie. credit cards don't allow you dispute something that length of time . . .

Super Contributor

On 9/17/2014 kittymomNC said:
On 9/17/2014 biancardi said:

I think I might jump ship to http://www.bonanza.com/

biancardi, can you give a little information about that site? Does it work basically the way eBay does? My son might be interested in checking it out, or should he just go to it and see what's there? Thanks.

I'm going to check it out. It is about time someone gave eBay a real viable competitive edge . . . Etsy is ok, I've never done it, but know people who do and who have bought there. A little competition would do a world of good for eBay AND PayPal.

Esteemed Contributor

My son only sells to foreign buyers if they contact him about shipping before they bid. And he's never had anything take anywhere close to 45 days to get to the buyer. Is shipping from a foreign country to the U.S. that bad?

Honored Contributor

My son only sells to foreign buyers if they contact him about shipping before they bid. And he's never had anything take anywhere close to 45 days to get to the buyer. Is shipping from a foreign country to the U.S. that bad?

I never have either, but there is the potential for something to take a couple of months if it is going by surface.

I've gotten some Lock & Lock pieces from South Korea (stuff you don't find here) and each time they took a week or less and shipping was about the same as it w/b here in the US.

One time I sold this whole collectible set to a guy in Singapore. Oh man! I was worried because it had this big showcase piece with squares in them, where you would put the pieces, and then all the pieces. I packed that bad boy up so well for its long trip. I'm good at packing anyway, so that was to my advantage in a big way with this order.

He got it and was so happy with it, but it cost him a fair amount. IIRC, it was oversized and fairly heavy (porcelain pieces and wood for the showcase). He was happy to pay. Of course I didn't gouge him. I asked very little extra for the packing job and he was happy I didn't try to hit him hard for that.

Super Contributor

On 9/17/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

Ebay is more friendly to buyers than it is to sellers. This is just one more example of that fact.

It used to be the opposite. But this new policy is really weird.

How long do you have with the PO or UPS to claim an item lost? How could you possibly wait 6 mos.? OK I just did a quick check for the PO and if I'm understanding correctly it ain't 180 days. Only APO/FPO/DPO Priority Mail Express goes that long.

https://www.usps.com/ship/file-domestic-claims.htm

How are they going to do this? I suppose it will be up to the seller to make the cut off if the buyer hasn't received by the limit.

As for the not as described claim, good luck sellers.

Super Contributor

I would think eBay would cater to the obvious majority of buyer and sellers which are located in the US when it comes to such major policies and procedures. IF there are that many that this needs to apply to . . . then they can create another offshoot like they did with ebay.canada and ebay.uk

Super Contributor

i get things from Japan in a week or less.

Super Contributor

I purchase occasionally from eBay, and I have nothing but great luck with sellers! The changes eBay has instituted over the past many years have really gouged the sellers, IMO. I don't know how or why sellers continue to do business w/eBay what with all of the fees and restrictions they have had placed on them.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Respected Contributor

On 9/17/2014 mousiegirl said:
On 9/17/2014 biancardi said:
On 9/17/2014 mousiegirl said:
On 9/17/2014 Shorty2U said:

Thanks for the info and I agree that is too long! But I am not concerned because my husband sells things on ebay from time to time, and has never had one problem or complaint from anyone in 10 years. (He has 100% feedback). But I can tell you that my husband sells things at a reasonable price AND "actual" shipping costs. (Because we hate how some sellers on ebay hang buyers with outrageous shipping costs).

Yes, because many sellers add listing fees, ebay fees, etc.to the mailing cost, which I believe is against ebay rules, at least it is unless the seller lists those expenses in the description, which of course, they do not, in general.

it is NOT against the rules to add a reasonable handling fee to the shipping AND handling cost.

the issue is that buyers want it for FREE and for those sellers who don't sell that often, it is a loss.

I charge under what the PO charges for shipping. I do not include any of my fees (which are HUGE percentages now) nor any of the shipping material that I have to purchase. I am entitled to do so, but I do not. I do not charge for insurance (as we are no longer allowed to do that) and I still get the occasional whiny buyer who remarks that my shipping is too high. It is less than what I paid for it at the PO.

I remember one buyer stated that and I had shipped the item for FREE.

I buy and sell on ebay. I always leave 5 stars & positive feedback if the item is as described and within an acceptable time limit for me to receive it. I know the costs upfront before I bid on shipping/handling, so I am not going to punish the seller for that. If I don't like those costs, I don't bid.

As I said, sellers can add charges if they mention it in the description, out of the mouth of an ebay customer service rep.

no, you do not need to mention anything in the description for a reasonable handling fee. You just need to state the costs in the shipping/handling section and no description or breakdown of those costs are needed. Per their own FAQ's on ebay.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

On 9/17/2014 pickleslarue said:
On 9/17/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

Ebay is more friendly to buyers than it is to sellers. This is just one more example of that fact.

It used to be the opposite. But this new policy is really weird.

How long do you have with the PO or UPS to claim an item lost? How could you possibly wait 6 mos.? OK I just did a quick check for the PO and if I'm understanding correctly it ain't 180 days. Only APO/FPO/DPO Priority Mail Express goes that long.

https://www.usps.com/ship/file-domestic-claims.htm

How are they going to do this? I suppose it will be up to the seller to make the cut off if the buyer hasn't received by the limit.

As for the not as described claim, good luck sellers.

it hasn't been that way in over a decade - and it really wasn't "friendly" to sellers. Sellers just could leave negative feedback with buyers and now they cannot do that anymore. That was just the beginning.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames