Respected Contributor

Re: if you sale on Ebay - big change!

On 9/17/2014 shesallthat said:
On 9/17/2014 biancardi said:

I think I might jump ship to http://www.bonanza.com/

does that site not use paypal??? or are sellers given more options to accept payments?

it gives them more options...

but it is more than just the paypal change. There have been a lot of changes and this one is now on my last nerve with the 180 days. I can understand it with international shipments, but not shipments within the USA.

the attitude of ebay towards the sellers that MADE them is horrible - they do not care. I post on the ebay forums and this topic isn't going down well over there.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

180 days?....that's 6 months....a buyer needs 6 months to determine if they have a dispute or not?....shakes my head!

Respected Contributor

On 9/17/2014 sunala said:

Yikes that's SIX months!

They're crazy. Don't they realize without sellers, there won't be anything for their buyers to buy?!? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

LOL. You would think. It is a shame.
Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 Shorty2U said:

Thanks for the info and I agree that is too long! But I am not concerned because my husband sells things on ebay from time to time, and has never had one problem or complaint from anyone in 10 years. (He has 100% feedback). But I can tell you that my husband sells things at a reasonable price AND "actual" shipping costs. (Because we hate how some sellers on ebay hang buyers with outrageous shipping costs).

Yes, because many sellers add listing fees, ebay fees, etc.to the mailing cost, which I believe is against ebay rules, at least it is unless the seller lists those expenses in the description, which of course, they do not, in general.

Respected Contributor

On 9/17/2014 mousiegirl said:

Thanks for the info and I agree that is too long! But I am not concerned because my husband sells things on ebay from time to time, and has never had one problem or complaint from anyone in 10 years. (He has 100% feedback). But I can tell you that my husband sells things at a reasonable price AND "actual" shipping costs. (Because we hate how some sellers on ebay hang buyers with outrageous shipping costs).

Yes, because many sellers add listing fees, ebay fees, etc.to the mailing cost, which I believe is against ebay rules, at least it is unless the seller lists those expenses in the description, which of course, they do not, in general.

it is NOT against the rules to add a reasonable handling fee to the shipping AND handling cost.

the issue is that buyers want it for FREE and for those sellers who don't sell that often, it is a loss.

I charge under what the PO charges for shipping. I do not include any of my fees (which are HUGE percentages now) nor any of the shipping material that I have to purchase. I am entitled to do so, but I do not. I do not charge for insurance (as we are no longer allowed to do that) and I still get the occasional whiny buyer who remarks that my shipping is too high. It is less than what I paid for it at the PO.

I remember one buyer stated that and I had shipped the item for FREE.

I buy and sell on ebay. I always leave 5 stars & positive feedback if the item is as described and within an acceptable time limit for me to receive it. I know the costs upfront before I bid on shipping/handling, so I am not going to punish the seller for that. If I don't like those costs, I don't bid.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

Very interesting.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/17/2014 Qwackertoo said:

Shorty, your husband is lucky. I ran into a scammer buyer last year. Claimed smoke damage, which was blatantly FALSE . . . BUT wanted me to lower the price and they'd keep it and leave positive feedback. I said send it back, on principle of the matter. But no they didn't want to do that. So then escalated to a claim and they HAD to send back. They must have cut it open from the bottom of the box and then replaced inside and taped up then wrote "refused" all over the front of box. Ummm either you opened it and claimed smoke OR you didn't open and wrote refused, can't have it both ways. So in essence they "cheated" the USPS out of legitimate postage charges to return. And guess who eBay & PayPal sided with? The scammer, of course. Until then, over 10 years buying (mainly) and selling . .. I had a 100% positive feedback too.

I feel your frustration...my son has 100% feedback and bends over backwards to keep it. One of his problems is that eBay will tell him they've decided a case in his favor and it's final, and then if the buyer complains and pitches a fit, they've refunded their money and let them keep the item. They didn't ask my son to pay it, but if they do that when it's not a legitimate claim, that's one of the reasons they have to keep going up on seller fees. He has had people who obviously were trying to scam him, and when confronted with having to prove their claim, they just quietly fade away. It's a real pain in the neck, though. He doesn't yet know about this change, I don't think, because his computer is broken and until he replaces it, uses mine. He hasn't been here since this was apparently announced, and I'm afraid he will go through the roof! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Esteemed Contributor

I think I might jump ship to http://www.bonanza.com/

biancardi, can you give a little information about that site? Does it work basically the way eBay does? My son might be interested in checking it out, or should he just go to it and see what's there? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 mousiegirl said:

it is NOT against the rules to add a reasonable handling fee to the shipping AND handling cost.

the issue is that buyers want it for FREE and for those sellers who don't sell that often, it is a loss.

I charge under what the PO charges for shipping. I do not include any of my fees (which are HUGE percentages now) nor any of the shipping material that I have to purchase. I am entitled to do so, but I do not. I do not charge for insurance (as we are no longer allowed to do that) and I still get the occasional whiny buyer who remarks that my shipping is too high. It is less than what I paid for it at the PO.

I remember one buyer stated that and I had shipped the item for FREE.

I buy and sell on ebay. I always leave 5 stars & positive feedback if the item is as described and within an acceptable time limit for me to receive it. I know the costs upfront before I bid on shipping/handling, so I am not going to punish the seller for that. If I don't like those costs, I don't bid.

As I said, sellers can add charges if they mention it in the description, out of the mouth of an ebay customer service rep.

Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 Qwackertoo said:

That is ridiculous!

Why even bother having the setting on the page for the eBay item, Buyer must notify seller within "blank" days . . . I set mine to 14.

45 is plenty.

Heck 14 is plenty.

Around 180 days they could have transferred all their money to their bank account, made up a new ID and moved on . . . STUPID policy.

Apparently you have never bought something on Ebay from a foreign country. Sometimes it takes longer than 45 days for it to arrive. To avoid the problem of a buyer missing the 45 day deadline or filing within the 45 and then having to cancel when the item arrives, Ebay has extended it. Makes sense to me.