Valued Contributor
they are calling purses. "SHE". and "her". I didn't know purses had gender. aaaaaak
Esteemed Contributor

Re: i can't believe my ears....

I started a thread about referring to items such as cars and other things as she. When it is pouring rain people will say, "Boy she is really coming down" or if it is windy they say, "She is really blowing." It is nice to see that others feel the same way because I still don't understand why certain things are called she.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

soo odd---I switched off when I heard that baloney! I could not believe it---I'm glad you agree. Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

we'll leave you two alone now.

Honored Contributor

I generally hear the women with 100 bags call them ""her"".

They even create special rooms for their ""girls"".

I guess 100 bags with names is a better hobby than 100 dolls with names.

You can take the bags off the shelf and use them.

Respected Contributor

Well, consider that the Romantic languages assign gender to nouns. For example, in Spanish "el" is masculine and "la" is feminine....now how it was decided what gender was assigned to what is fascinating. For example "table" is "la mesa" feminine. Is it because women are traditionally associated with nurturing and food? I am ok if somebody wants to call a purse a she or a her...and I guess if it's a man bag, it then becomes a he or him.....just sayin' Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

In Spanish the purse or bag is called la bolsa-- feminine

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

Great post poodlepet!

Esteemed Contributor

My family names our cars and bikes. It's fun. Smitty is my bike, after my fabulous grandfather, so it's a he. Scotty is my car, after my heritage. Hey, no harm, no foul and it's kinda fun. My husband's bike is Charlie, after his fave grandfather. My daughter's car is Scarlett, after the dolphin she swam with on her 13th birthday. Just a fun way to get the positive endorphins flowing. Anything to bring a smile to life. When my husband says.... snowflake's been in the shop for a week now. We all know his big, bad white truck is in the shop. We're just a smiling family, I guess. Assigning gender to handbags? Well, it just makes sense to a goofball like me.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Why shouldn't a purse be a she? She's beautiful, strong, lasting, flexible, functional and can carry the world within her space. Sounds like a woman to me. Smile

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."