Respected Contributor

Re: help please - my long haired kitty ugh

We have ten cats, inside, spayed and ]or neutered, and we have someone peeing on the counter occasionally, or on the plastic under the litter boxes. We don't know who it is. The tips here are very good, some I have tried, some I have not.

Thanks for the ideas too.Smile

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Super Contributor

On 9/14/2014 Mama Mia said:

We have ten cats, inside, spayed and ]or neutered, and we have someone peeing on the counter occasionally, or on the plastic under the litter boxes. We don't know who it is. The tips here are very good, some I have tried, some I have not.

Thanks for the ideas too.Smile

mm

Hi Mama Mia,

Welcome to the multi-cat club. We currently have 9.

You may have to remove the plastic that's underneath the litter boxes. We had one of those plastic/rubber mats under our litter boxes for catching those little pieces of litter after the cats jumped out....

...I kept smelling piddle and didn't know where the smell was coming from --- until --- the mat was full and running over. Never caught the plastic-mat piddler....

So, we got rid of the plastic mats. Now I have a non-backed scatter rug underneath the litter boxes. So far, so good. LOL.

For counter-top piddlers -- try rubbing some orange or lemon zest on top the counter. Cats don't like the smell of citrus zest and will stay away. Or spray some FOUR PAWS KEEP OFF on a tea towel and place it right where the counter top piddler strikes. My cats do not like the scent of KEEP OFF -- although the scent to humans isn't offensive at all.

By the way, we always use harm-free, environmentally safe deterrents. We never spray cats with water or frighten them in any manner. And as a result, we have the most wonderfully trained cats. Our friends can't believe how sweet they all are and how nicely they all behave.

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Actually, the smell of ammonia encourages urination. Ammonia is found in urine.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Super Contributor

On 9/14/2014 pommom said:

Right. I read that the plastic and/or rubber mats that are made to go underneath the litter boxes --- are cured in ammonia...which attracts cats to piddle on them!

What were the manufacturers thinking? {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Super Contributor

On 9/14/2014 Jeremiah 2911 said:
On 9/14/2014 pommom said:

Right. I read that the plastic and/or rubber mats that are made to go underneath the litter boxes --- are cured in ammonia...which attracts cats to piddle on them!

What were the manufacturers thinking? {#emotions_dlg.blink}

They're thinking...let's do the cheapest manufacturing process available to make these. Probably from China, too.