Honored Contributor

Re: >400 Doctors, Nurses, & Pharmacists Arrested in Fraud case

[ Edited ]

I think the thing to remember in any industry is that it is still a human being working the job and that person may not have the ethics and morals or self interests you do even when it's an industry that you would think should have a higher calling.  

Nice wakeup call for all of us to be vigilant no matter where we are.   

Honored Contributor

Good! Throw them in prison for years and slap them with huge fines.... take away their licenses to practice medicine of any kind for good. 

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if this story was on any of the major news networks --- does anyone know?

I don't watch the news on TV.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I wonder if this story was on any of the major news networks --- does anyone know?

I don't watch the news on TV.

It was reported on CNN this morning during one of their news hour programs.

Honored Contributor

I'm so tired of hearing about the Oxy addiction problem.  I see the other end of it.  I sit every month with people who (mostly my age) can hardly get out of the chair to walk to the examining room.

People forget that there are problems with the body that cannot be fixed.  It's a case where (like everything in this country) a few (when you consider the REAL numbers) people make life difficult for others.

I don't know about other medical Drs who manage pain but my Dr makes you pee in a cup every visit and then it's sent out (the things they check for run single spaced 2 full pages (I know because I request a copy of it).  This also runs up the cost of insurance.  When I review it, I have found several mistakes.  Most people never even think to ask to see or have a copy of their reports.

I find it amazing that people act like a Dr knows all and is some kind of GOD.  I've been with the same Drs for many years.  We have frank and honest talks.  They respect my opinion.

My cardiologist said, "Why do you fight me when I try to give you a medication?"  I said, "Think about it.  When do you 'take away' a medication?  You end up adding another medication to counter act the one you've already given".  He said, "You do make sense".

When I was in rehab recently, they were giving me medicine for high and low blood pressure (at the same time).  I put an end to that!  They were giving me high dosages of aspirin (I can't take high dosages due to problems with my stomach.....lowered the dosage).  And on and on.

A person must educate themselves about their body.  They must learn what works and doesn't work.  They must understand there are consequences to every medicine and understand the medicine.

Just saying.

Respected Contributor

As a member of the health care profession, this absolutely sickens me.  I know these criminals are out there and scores of others have been arrested in previous years, but it still boggles my mind. 

Hats off to the Medicare Fraud Strike Force and federal investigators that worked so diligently to investigate these cases.

I read the other day, before this was announced, that the Medicare Fraud Strike Force that was formed around 2007 or 2008 (can't remember which) has charged multiple health care professionals that have bilked the country billions of dollars & exposed frauds.  So add this to that tally.  Great thing that they are out there though to catch these criminals.  Sad though that they are out there in the first place. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

I don't believe most people feel their doctor is "like a god". I think many people fail to understand they bear a lot of responsibility for understanding their medical condition and for taking an active role in their treatment. 

Doctors are not mind readers. The patient must communicate, educate themselves and participate in their medical care. If something doesn't feel right, ask questions. Good medical care is a partnership between the patient and the doctor.

Greed strikes people in all professions.  I'm glad they caught these bad guys. They taint the massive good the rest of the medical profession does.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@loveschocolate wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow. A cardiologist and his wife were arrested near here. The doctor was actually ordering unnecessary tests AND performed medical procedures such as cardiac stents, pacemakers and automatic implantable defibrillators for patients that did NOT NEED them. Disgusting!!!! They made about 2 million dollars between 2007-2015 fraudulently. 

@loveschocolate  Exactly why second and third opinions, at least, are necessary, instead of taking the word of just one doctor.

This sort of thing never makes sense to me. Doesn't the insurance company require proof of the need before they agree to pay for these things? We would often get a patient back from the cath lab with the catheter still in place and scheduled to return the next day because they have to send the films to the insurance co. for approval of the procedure before it's done. Unfortunate & uncomfortable for the patient but not at all unusual.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is just a tip of the ice berg with the pharmaceutical companies........and its not just Opioids either..........

There was a fascinating show awhile back that consisted of doctors, former pharmaceutical employees and others in the industry......they have their own form of politics and sometimes it's all about the money and not about the health or well fare of patients...For example, they told one story about a medication that is available in France that offers a break through for arthritis, but the Pharmaceutical Companies in the U.S. wouldnt let it in, because it would mean a drop in sales for pain medications that US companies offered.......I just shook my head in amazement....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I haven't read all of the posts, but in general, I've been encouraging folks to read those summaries that are mailed to us.  If there are any meds or services on the list that are incorrect, call the phone number and let them know.  O/T: Also, I always encourage folks to web search various official international associations and research regarding any specific medical problem.  Just to see what's happening across the pond.  What has worked, what hasn't.  The 'whys' of what might cause some medical problems, etc., etc.  Very enlightening.   It doesn't hurt to browse around the world.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).