Honored Contributor

google map question

[ Edited ]

What does a bouncing gray pointer mean? I can't seem to find an answer when I google it. TIA

Looks like this and it's bouncing up and down in one spot.

download (1).jpg

Honored Contributor

I don't know. When I use Google Maps it has one that looks like that but it's red. It shows your destination location when you map from one address to another.

I have never seen the one you posted.

Must be some type of location pin?

Esteemed Contributor

Mine is red as well - have not seen a grey one. Maybe it's your starting point?

Honored Contributor

Re: google map question

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee,  I think the default Google map marker color is red and it's fixed (doesn't bounce or jump), but developers are permitted to change the color or to animate it to set it apart from others.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

What made me ask the question is when I looked at a map, provided by SHINGRIX dot com,  for locating pharmacies that might have it in stock.  That gray pointer does not point to anything in particular and does not move it's position when you zoom in or zoom out. It just sits there bouncing...?

Honored Contributor

Re: google map question

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

What made me ask the question is when I looked at a map, provided by SHINGRIX dot com,  for locating pharmacies that might have it in stock.  That gray pointer does not point to anything in particular and does not move it's position when you zoom in or zoom out. It just sits there bouncing...?

@SilleeMee,  Thanks!   I just looked at that particular map.   No matter which zip code I use, if I enlarge to the full-screen size of the map the bouncing gray marker appears to be a general indicator for the whole area around that zip code.   Zooming in, as you mentionedthe fact that it remains pretty much in a static central spot causes me feel the website developer wanted to highlight the general community area.   Otherwise, I don't see a practical use for it and I can see why it stood out as unusual.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I was hoping that gray pointer was jumping for joy and pointing to a pharmacy that had it in stock...lol!Woman LOL @dooBdoo

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I was hoping that gray pointer was jumping for joy and pointing to a pharmacy that had it in stock...lol!Woman LOL @dooBdoo

I love your optimistic attitude, @SilleeMee!thumbs up gif

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee

Could this be where you live?

Mine is this.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@SilleeMee

Could this be where you live?

Mine is this.

No, @LTT1. It's not. Meaningless bouncing gray pointer, as far as I can tell so far.