Honored Contributor

Re: garden plants causing a rash

@ROMARY wrote:

I've been looking for long garden gloves. 

The pampas (sp?) grass (tall feathery plumes) have sharp leaves that 'attach' to the skin and make a red mark.

I'm always trimming the long leaves and end up with a few long red marks along my forearm.

Oh my that stuff is so razor sharp, we use to have it allover the place where we use to live ,pretty ,but what a pain.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

Don't take this as gospel, but I believe that tomatoes are from the sumac family as are poison oak and ivy.

Tomatoes are in the nightshade family along with potatoes and eggplants.

Honored Contributor

I'm allergic to everything.

Some of it is a true allergy, other times is just dermatitis.

I wear gloves, long sleeves, long pants and tall rubber boots outside.

And i still get a good case of something once a year.  I need a steroid shot and prescription ointment, OTC won't work.

Respected Contributor

@Pearleefirstly, Good for you wearing the correct gear to go weeding.  Since you did not say where on your arm the rash develops I can only make some guesses.  Is it anywhere covered by the gloves?  Do you wash the gloves between uses?  perhaps some "hairs" or plant oils got inside the cuff and rubs at you when you put the gloves on again. Are you allergic to the gloves themselves?  The long sleeves is great for protection too.  You don't have a dedicated shirt you just slip on that hangs by the garden door do you?  Same thing as the gloves there.

Luckily I don't react to the Zuc or Toms.  I react to ornamental hops.

Grows like a weed around here.  Little hint for all,  Pulling out dried plants is more reaction causing than even the fresh ones.  when they've dried up the water is gone but the essencial oils that cause the reaction are Concentrated.  I will never EVER garden without gloves again. Looked like bloomin' Daisy Duck I did.

Respected Contributor

@qbetzforreal, Thank you! You are so right! I stand corrected. 

Respected Contributor

I had the same problem....these are dandy and only $11 on Amazon.

Goatskin Leather  Gardening Gloves  with Long Canvas Gauntlet