Respected Contributor

Re: fun new work toy

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm

I am curious.  Are you remodeling your existing kitchen or planning a new kitchen in a new home?  If you are remodeling why is the sink placement being moved?

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny

Kitchen is gutted.  (Whole house is gutted). 

Only 1 kitchen window and don't want the sink there. 

So the original sink was facing a wall.  Don't really live here (yet) so it didn't really bother me. 

But now it's gonna be a reality. 

I can't even wrap my head around cabinetry being right above a sink. 

So I guess it will be those *high up* cabinets.  Or no upper cabinet at all?  Just have them on either side of sink?

What do others have?  The only homes I know don't have windows over sinks are where the sinks are on/in islands, looking out.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Allegheny

Kitchen is gutted.  (Whole house is gutted). 

Only 1 kitchen window and don't want the sink there. 

So the original sink was facing a wall.  Don't really live here (yet) so it didn't really bother me. 

But now it's gonna be a reality. 

I can't even wrap my head around cabinetry being right above a sink. 

So I guess it will be those *high up* cabinets.  Or no upper cabinet at all?  Just have them on either side of sink?

What do others have?  The only homes I know don't have windows over sinks are where the sinks are on/in islands, looking out.

OK, now I understand.  Same here.  Only two places I lived briefly had the set up of no window and cabinets above sink.  It didn't bother me at the time, but now I am accustomed to having the window.  May-be Raven will pop in.

Respected Contributor

@dex  yes they are gray, it's called dove gray.......so think of white with a splash of gray in it.............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

Re: fun new work toy

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm  you can move the sink and if you look at the link I left in this thread for the spec house I did, that is exactly what I did.........I got rid of the window that was there, we needed more wall storage and I moved the sink to the peninsula that I added onto the cabinet run.

You don't have to have a sink at a window, BUT, what you don't want to do is move it to a spot where you're facing a wall........that IS depressing

Now keep in mind, moving a sink also means moving the plumbing and waste line.......that's gonna add costs to your project......it'll also bring the city into it, because permits will have to be pulled, that will add costs also and add a delay just to get them back out to sign off.

If you're bent on moving that sink, yes I would add a wall bridge above the window........no they aren't easy to get to, but they make for some great long term and/or use once a year storage.........it's also keeps a continuious line going and keeps the cabinets from looking disjointed.......................................raven

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Today I started on a home that is even larger then the home those closets are going into.

Sq. ft. of this new project is 18k.........closet sq. ft. make the ones I just did look little.........the house is so big, you can only get one half of each floor on the blueprint.......and trust me people, those are HUGE sheets of paper......especially when you consider I'm working in 1/4" scale.

All custom cabinetry........todays meeting, that lasted four hours, was going over cabinet colors, door styles, wood species and red lining on the prelim designs.........I'm just finishing up on the 13k, so now I move to the 18k......................................raven

Esteemed Contributor

Can't wait to see it...keep us posted!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF....... I will, because I'll be sending it all to the virtual showroom as I complete each area........I actually have the whole house to do........................raven

Honored Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@Lucky Charm  you can move the sink and if you look at the link I left in this thread for the spec house I did, that is exactly what I did.........I got rid of the window that was there, we needed more wall storage and I moved the sink to the peninsula that I added onto the cabinet run.

You don't have to have a sink at a window, BUT, what you don't want to do is move it to a spot where you're facing a wall........that IS depressing

Now keep in mind, moving a sink also means moving the plumbing and waste line.......that's gonna add costs to your project......it'll also bring the city into it, because permits will have to be pulled, that will add costs also and add a delay just to get them back out to sign off.

If you're bent on moving that sink, yes I would add a wall bridge above the window........no they aren't easy to get to, but they make for some great long term and/or use once a year storage.........it's also keeps a continuious line going and keeps the cabinets from looking disjointed.......................................raven

thanks again raven!

We have so many permits now, what's another....!

I can re-figure it with sink under the window. 

Now I'll hate being at the stove!