Respected Contributor

Re: do you come here for instruction on how to live your life?

@adelle38 wrote:

I think they went to Father Dowling to confess after they made a mess and to Sally Fields for singing lessons. Or was that Sister Act? I always confuse the flying with the singing.

Personally, I learned my life lessons from Jessica Fletcher and Sherlock Holmes.

...and I got mine from Mr Spock. 

Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Then there is always Sister Betreile in the Flying Nun......

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Daisy wrote:

Speaking of "nun mysteries", do you remember the tv show, "Father Dowling Mysteries"? Good show.

@Daisy Sunflower

Did people go to Father Dowling for advice on how to live their lives?

Or did they go to the nuns for that?

The starring nun in Father Dowling is Tracy Nelson, daughter of the late Ricky and grandchild of Ozzie and Harriet.   And...one of the worst actresses ever.  No, no advice from her in her squeaky nasal voice  --- please.  She certainly didn't inherit Ricky's voice!

I only know this because Hallmark Mysteries and Movies has been repeating The Father Dowling Mysteries.  And Father Dowling is played by Amos, the first sheriff of Cabot Cove, speaking of Jessica Fletcher.  LOL!  

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Daisy wrote:

Speaking of "nun mysteries", do you remember the tv show, "Father Dowling Mysteries"? Good show.

@Daisy Sunflower

The starring nun in Father Dowling is Tracy Nelson, daughter of the late Ricky and grandchild of Ozzie and Harriet.   And...one of the worst actresses ever.  No, no advice from her in her squeaky nasal voice  --- please.  She certainly didn't inherit Ricky's voice!

I only know this because Hallmark Mysteries and Movies has been repeating The Father Dowling Mysteries.  And Father Dowling is played by Amos, the first sheriff of Cabot Cove, speaking of Jessica Fletcher.  LOL!  

Tracy Nelson (Mark Harmon's niece) has survived three entirely different types of cancer.  She was diagnosed with lymphoma at the time Father Dowling was on.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Daisy wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower

Tracy Nelson (Mark Harmon's niece) has survived three entirely different types of cancer.  She was diagnosed with lymphoma at the time Father Dowling was on.

I haven't verified the info @Moonchilde but I saw a site that says she went broke because of insurers not covering her because of pre-existing conditions🙁

Super Contributor

@jaxs mom  I can't remember the author of the books, but it is a whole series.  I can't even remember the name of the nun.   I wish I could so I don't ever get another of her books.  I was reading it on a kindle paperwhite and I kept checking to see how many pages were left.  A large part of the so-called story involved what the author appeared to believe were deep philosophical questions concerning the nun's commitment of the "should she stay or should she leave" variety.  This issue was not resolved and the book I got was sort of in the middle of the series.  I guess this is a major issue in the series, which was presented as murder mystery, which was how it got to be on my kindle.  The story ended rather abruptly, with many pages still  remaining.  These pages contained the "discussion questions".  The book was not presented as young adult fiction, where the discussion question issue might be appropriate.   I was awed by the egotism of the author, thinking she had written a book that required the inclusion of "discussion questions".  I imagine this is a regular feature.  Arthur Conan Doyle didn't include "discussion questions" and he wrote really provocative stories.

I'm not a fan of people who see themselves as so superior (alpha) that all us inferior types need their constant monitoring and instruction.   Apparently, I am a gamma/delta in the eyes of at least one person on this board and I am alternately amused and annoyed at the persistent attempts to raise me to his standards.

Esteemed Contributor

The winds do blow hard around here at times, don't they?

Image result for the winds blow hard meme

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

WE each have personal experiences that we relay on here in hopes of helping others, I think. It's mixing in a little Ann Landers too.  We come in here to think out loud, voice opinions, and in the end, make the choices right for us.  At least I hope so.  Sometimes we get the whole story, other times, one of two ways to see something.  

Honored Contributor

Most of the things I read here I just shake my head and say to myself "huh??" Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

No, I don't. 

It may start a nice thread... but ends up looking like a picked chicken carcass.