Esteemed Contributor

GUilty plea in murder and kidnapping of Lyons sisters

From a mall in Maryland 42 years ago.  THis was a huge case here in DC area and one of the first child abduction cases to receive a huge amount of publicity.  both sisters kidnapped from a mall near their home in Maryland where they had walked in broad daylight to see the Easter decorations.  THeir bodies have never been found but at least their family now has some final closure after all these years.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: GUilty plea in murder and kidnapping of Lyons sisters

I read about this today and I'm glad the family got at least this.  Seems really close to home (although I now live in AZ) as Wheaton mall was my "hang out mall" as a teen. 

Honored Contributor

So happy to hear this. I read about this case awhile ago. So very sad.

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet

Everytime I hear this on TV, I get queasy remembering when it happened.  I had just married and moved to Maryland from the midwest, and this story was so troubling.

In all this follow up, I've never heard a word from the family and I cannot blame them.  The pain and anguish they have suffered must be a living Hell.  All these years, not knowing, and now they finally do. 

I cannot imagine they have any comfort.  RIP to those sweet, beautiful little children.

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet

I did see the parents give a brief statement on the local news this morning.

Again, so heartbreaking.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if this was the guy that was on the police radar for so long. 

Terrible crime.  I remember reading about it.  Their father was DJ or an announcer on the radio.  I think it was a very  high profile case.

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird

I believe this was one of the original suspects.  I saw a drawing of him made at the time and it was a match.

Not having followed the case all that closely (because it was so troubling), I cannot remember WHY he wasn't arrested.  Perhaps there wasn't enough evidence.

Just the stuff of nightmares. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember when this happened. All the parents (including mine) were terrified to let us out to play; so we didn't. That mall wasn't far from where we lived so that made it even more terrifying.

What I remember hearing from adults was why the parents allowed the girls to be alone when walking that distance and at the mall. Though it was a different time, none of us at that age could go anywhere alone beyond our own neighborhood and even then, the "houses had eyes" so if something happened or you misbehaved, your parents knew.

I overhead my daddy say to someone "They'll never find those poor girls. Children don't appear for a good reason".  

I never forgot the sisters. When I saw the article about the arrest, a small part of me thought maybe they'd find the girls as adults but....may he rot in Hell.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Much like others who lived in the D.C. area at the time of the horrible disappearance of the Lyon sisters, I have followed this case closely.  Whenever it would receive increased focus over the years, the case would grab my attention.

John Lyon, the girls' father, was a local radio personality at the time they were abducted.  It was a watershed moment for us in this area since walking to a local mall to look at Easter decorations and eat pizza with friends seemed like a safe activity in those days.   Until that day.  

Many of us who became parents after this horror that occurred in 1975 were more wary of letting go of our children.  And, of course, there was the chilling Adam Walsh case yet to come.

I am happy that the Lyon family can feel some measure of satisfaction that justice has been served for their daughters/sisters.  What an all-engulfing pain to have experienced all these years.  God bless that family.

Honored Contributor

Songbird1, Welch is the guy the police have had on their radar from the beginning.  He was at the mall, as I recall.