Respected Contributor

It seems to me the US is drastically underperforming.  Last year the WHO said the US and UK were the countries best equipped to handle a pandemic.  Now both countries have lost so many people.

Next time the WHO does its survey, it needs to factor in the number of idiots per capita.

Respected Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

It seems to me the US is drastically underperforming.  Last year the WHO said the US and UK were the countries best equipped to handle a pandemic.  Now both countries have lost so many people.

Next time the WHO does its survey, it needs to factor in the number of idiots per capita.

Or other places are not reporting deaths in the same manner. I suspect that is what is happening. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@esmerelda   We will probably never know...1 small example...car accident in my county, death certifiate read Covid as the cause.  The family made a big stink about it and the death certificate is supposed to be changed.  I have not heard if that has happened yet.  

A friend in Florida says a friend of her has covid, and has tested positive several times since the initial diagnosis/positive test.  Every time she is tested, and it's positive (which has been 3 times now) it is reported as a positive case....but the three positives are coming from 1 person.  Something is fishy.

@Mom2Dogs 

I have a co-worker who has COVID-19. He said he was told he just has to go 72 hrs without symptoms and then he can go back to work. No additional tests at all after the first one. This is in Florida, too. So he doesn’t need testing to prove he is better but your friend does? Something else is fishy here...

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:
There is a difference between dying FROM the virus and dying WITH the virus. My nurse friend said that people who likely were doing to die anyway, due to other issues, who tested positive, are counted as dying from the virus. So I think the numbers are skewed.

@Puppy Lips, likely to die? If they were positive for the virus and died from complications, shouldn't that be counted as a Covid death, as opposed to their testing positive but falling off a ladder and dying?

Maybe @pitdakota can weigh in for us. :-)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@suzyQ3, ridiculous to say the least.  Anyone that dies, dies "from" something.  It is lay people termniology that someone died of old age.  Well they may be old, but their lungs either gave out & they contracted pneumonia, they had a stroke, they had kidney failure....you get the picture.  That is the cause of death.  And it is counted in the death rate reported for that county, state, etc. 

Fact is, someone 100 years old that is living and ticking along just fine for being a 100 that contracts covid-19 and dies, dies from covid-19.  It is literally "elementary my dear Watson".  lol

@pitdakota, yes, thanks. I didn't think it made sense. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a talking point in some circles.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@esmerelda   We will probably never know...1 small example...car accident in my county, death certifiate read Covid as the cause.  The family made a big stink about it and the death certificate is supposed to be changed.  I have not heard if that has happened yet.  

A friend in Florida says a friend of her has covid, and has tested positive several times since the initial diagnosis/positive test.  Every time she is tested, and it's positive (which has been 3 times now) it is reported as a positive case....but the three positives are coming from 1 person.  Something is fishy.

@Mom2Dogs 

I have a co-worker who has COVID-19. He said he was told he just has to go 72 hrs without symptoms and then he can go back to work. No additional tests at all after the first one. This is in Florida, too. So he doesn’t need testing to prove he is better but your friend does? Something else is fishy here...

Wow...I just read the criteria for going back to work after having tested positive for COVID-19 and they sure are vague and do a lot to make me think they really still have no clue about any of this. 

Honored Contributor

@willdob3   yes, that is odd!  

Honored Contributor

Re: death rate please

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@willdob3   yes, that is odd!  

@Mom2Dogs 

There are three different ways to determine if someone is well enough to return to work. After reading about them I do not trust them and will feel even more uncomfortable at work when my co-worker returns. 

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@Mom2Dogs, nothing is fishy about that.  Those are called "duplicates".  The lab just reports the initial data and patient information.  They then run everything through a program that identifies the duplicates and then they remove the number for the total case count.

When our governor was giving daily briefings he always pointed out the duplicates because if people were tracking the numbers, they would come up with a different total than the official public health website.  That is because duplicates were removed.

So no, all 3 tests were not counted in the final number.  They were reported as positive, but the computer will identify them as duplicates, public health staff review it to make sure it is a duplicate patient and then adjust the number down.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mom2Dogs 

@willdob3 

Well, we really aren't to be commended for record keeping.   Wasn't it like about one billion in stimulus checks were sent to dead people?  

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I think I hear the sound of goalposts being moved again.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@Porcelain 

"Ditto"

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *