Valued Contributor

compromised credit card alert

I receved info today that my credit card could possibly have been compromised. Now I will get a new card and will have to put that new info into the sites where I make purchases. I asked what company and they said they can't give out that info. The only co that used my credit card on the date mentioned was QVC....some of my easy pays or purchases. Has anyone else who uses a credit card Mastercard from Bank of America received this alert notice? NO charges were made that I hadn't signed up for so that isn't a problem. It's just aggravating that now I have to change my credit card number on all the sites where I used that card.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: compromised credit card alert

In all probability the breach occurred months before it was even discovered.  The odds that a compromise occurred, was reported to and acted upon by your bank almost simultaneously are astronomical.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

If they told you that it COULD have been comprimised, that usually means that their SYSTEM had a breach and that they do not even know yet exactly who was affected and who wasn't , but as a precaution, send evryone new cards,  I would not worry about it OR BLAME ANY BUSINESS (QVC) UNTIL YOU KNOW FOR SURE if your card/number was even affected. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@elruth

"I asked what company and they said they can't give out that info."

Why not?  confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Good ole Bank of America can't tell you where it was breached BUT issue you new card without any idea that it was "compromised"!

3 times in 6 months I got the letter & new card. So far, so good hope I don't get that letter!

Respected Contributor

That has happened to me on four occasions. They just refused to give me the name of the breached company because it's their policy, (internal affairs handles it Smiley LOLSmiley SurprisedSmiley Sad), in each instance.

Honored Contributor

Two things (from my bank of experience on this) - 

1)   I hope you made sure that whatever notice you got was legit and not an attempt to cull your personal information.  If it's an email, I wouldn't click on any links and provide information.   I would call the number on my credit card to make sure of what's going on.

2)  One thing of which I was advised, and I think was a brilliant idea, is to go onto each account, including my BofA checking account/debit card and all of my credit cards, and find the setting where it lets you know whenever a charge is made online.  Any time I'm not AT the grocery store physically using my card, or any example like that, and a charge is made on any of my cards I get an email (or you can get a text or other choices, but I don't text) about the charge. 

For me it is totally worth it to get the emails and I can just delete them when I know it's a legitimate charge.  It takes seconds and I feel safer.

HTH Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Everyone......

I did a little cyber research & found this statemenet which was dated April 27, 2016: 

"credit card issuers typically have confidentiality agreements with merchants. They agree not to rat out the companies.

So you can't get this information. I can't get this information. Yes, we'd like to, so we can avoid using plastic at those merchants in the future. Or we may choose not to patronize them at all."

LINK TO FULL ARTICLE

SIDEBAR:  I wonder if you can ask for the "date(s)" of the compromise?  If you can get that, you can compare w/your bank statements.  This way you can find out the retailer of where the compromise took place.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Contributor

Yes I got the letter from Mastercard and yes, it could only have been QVC. I have a new card now.

Valued Contributor

Actually, it could have been ANYONE that you had given your card number to/or not..The letter states, POSSIBLY comprimised, that is saying they do not know,  might have been someone trying to use your number to gain a higher crdiet limit or addittional credit. OR more likely, their system was comprimised.  My daughters credit card number was stolen BY A CHIROPRACTOR that she had NEVER even been too,  He bought the number online from people who sell the info,  The bank and cops told us, ANYONE you give your card number to, is able to take the info and sell it.  Think of how many people and places you WILLINGLY give your number to?  Do you REALLY THINK everyone working for those places is honest?   I work at a very prestigious hospital, but if I leave a tube of lotion on my desk overnight, it is gone by morning.  so of course my credit info would be stolen also.