Valued Contributor

Is anybondy able to suggest a powerful cleaning liquid that will clean walls and woodwork   They need more than the usual cleaning  Thank you in asvance

Honored Contributor

Re: cleaning woodwork and wall

@mollymaggie 

My local Sherwin-Williams has always recommended Spic N Span (powder form) to clean the walls.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

What is on the woodwork that needs "powerful cleaning"?  If it is just everyday build up over time I have found the best is simple Dawn dish soap in warm water with a Sponge Daddy sponge.  Dawn will get the grease that builds up in the air and settles on the woodwork and the Sponge Daddy allows you to scrub when you need to without damaging or scratching the wood work.  I have found anything it won't clean other than scratched & paint.  I have white woodwork and it can yellow slowly over time - this combination makes all the difference in the world.  Remember, if the Sponge Daddy is really wet it gets soft in warm - giving you less scrub - and if it is dyer or in cold water - it gives you stronger scrub.  If you need to use a powder, use Bar Keeper's Friend.  NEVER use steam - it will ruin your woodwork.  Hope this helps.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

@mollymaggie   After you've decided what product to use, clean from the bottom up.  By starting at the bottom, you'll prevent clean streaks from being formed by water running down the walls.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I've always heard trisodium phosphate (TSP) is the strongest cleaner you can safely use.  You can get it at hardware stores.  Use rubber glovez.

Trisodium phosphate is the inorganic compound with the chemical formula Na₃PO₄. It is a white, granular or crystalline solid, highly soluble in water, producing an alkaline solution. TSP is used as a cleaning agent, builder, lubricant, food additive, stain remover, and degreaser

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

This is old school...works and inexpensive.  It's what I use.

@lolakimono wrote:

@mollymaggie 

My local Sherwin-Williams has always recommended Spic N Span (powder form) to clean the walls.  

Respected Contributor

RE:  trisodium phosphate (TSP) 

It is good, just remember it must be rinsed afterwards. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@mollymaggie ...not sure why you need a powerful cleaning agent, but my kitchen cabinets are 40+years old....I called the manufaturer and asked what to use to really, really clean them....Dawn dish shop and warm water....wash, rinse and buff dry!

Don't use anything that will take off the finish.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono ..does Spic n Span need to be risned off?

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@lolakimono ..does Spic n Span need to be risned off?

@Mom2Dogs 

Per the SNS site, no-

To clean painted walls, finished woodwork, ceilings, waxable and non-wax floors, use the Dilute Mix only. Wash walls a section at a time from the bottom up to avoid streaking. No rinsing required. Before using on wallpapered surfaces, test a small area.