Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

Personally I use self checkout to avoid annoying customers. I always get stuck behind people who seem surprised that they have coupons or suddenly remember that they need to get the checkbook out. Or watching their stuff pile up at the end of the belt and don't help bag.

@pigletsmom   Glad you use self checkout.  You would be that person waiting in line  behind me complaining about me counting out some change....and using coupons. Best you check yourself out and not ruin my day.

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

No doubt Walmart is changing - it's cheaper for them to have self check-out stations, but there are also employees who used to work the cash registers who are now going aisle to aisle filling on-line orders. DH has a few friends who have worked there for many years - they stay because they've worked up to a decent salary and good benefits. Shoppers have changed in the last couple of years - order online and let an employee shop for you. They're sure not going to keep all their employees at a cash register when more people want to shop online! The rest of us need to support our local grocers.

Same at my local Walmart. The cashiers are now in the aisles putting online orders together. 

Esteemed Contributor

I had to go to Kroger and Wal Mart yesterday, and each one had one checker.

I had trouble at Wal Mart and needed help, I'm hoping that the more often I try to use it, the less trouble I'll have whether its at Wal mart or Kroger.

I don't think these places are taking the elderly or ppl with mobility issues into consideration with these policies. My mom is waiting to have knee surgery and I don't think she feels like standing in line for 10 minutes waiting to check out and I know there are many in lots worse shape than my momma.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

Personally I use self checkout to avoid annoying customers. I always get stuck behind people who seem surprised that they have coupons or suddenly remember that they need to get the checkbook out. Or watching their stuff pile up at the end of the belt and don't help bag.

@pigletsmom   Glad you use self checkout.  You would be that person waiting in line  behind me complaining about me counting out some change....and using coupons. Best you check yourself out and not ruin my day.

I don't care about counting change or using coupons. I use them myself. I do care if the person is at the register looking through all of their coupons and aren't ready to go. Or standing there while 100 bucks worth of stuff gets rung up and then realize after all that they they might need to get the checkbook out.

That being said I'm polite no matter what is happening in front of me and I try to be polite to the people behind me by being ready with my stuff when I'm at the checkout. And I can promise you if it's an older person in front of me I'll wait all day for whatever they want to do.

Honored Contributor

Re: check out at Walmart

[ Edited ]

I read today that Walmart is being criticized for using AI to catch theft at checkout....they say they are looking for unscanned items that fatigued checkers or distracted shoppers place in bags.....WM is now being challenged saying this practice violates privacy laws....I don’t really get the privacy issue.

Honored Contributor
I use the self-checkout whenever possible at the grocery store and WM since they rarely have a cashier available with less than 6-7 people with full baskets of stuff waiting in line. The self-checkout machines seem to have improved since I don’t have to call someone over as often to fix something when it freezes or doesn’t scan correctly.
Respected Contributor

I would like aldi's better if they had self checkouts.  

Respected Contributor

What drives me nuts is people who have 5 or less items coming in line behind me.  I want to let them go ahead of me. Then I consider they have other choices like self checkout or express lanes. If I only had a few items I would certainly use self checkout.