Respected Contributor

Need more evidence of the upward pressure on pay? An average full-time Walmart store associate in America makes $14.26 per hour, almost double the federal minimum wage of $7.25.

That's according to Walmart's inaugural Environmental, Social, and Governance Report, which was published on Tuesday. The 94-page document disclosed a number of Walmart's private figures on U.S. employee compensation, including a minimum starting salary of $11 per hour and an average store manager compensation of $175,000 per year. It also noted that 55 percent of Walmart's American workforce is female, and 44 percent are people of color.

Valued Contributor

Some of those cashiers are now filling the pick-up orders.

Honored Contributor

It’s the consumer demand for lower cost goods that drive this. You can pay discount prices and expect full service. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I don't shop WM because of their practices. I did go into a WM last month to pick up 1 item and stunned to see there was only 1 cashier at the lane that sells cigarettes. All others are now self serve.

I counted 12 people in line at the service desk with 1 cashier.

This is profitable for WM. If you think they won't hike prices, they will. No doubt this is pushback to the move for higher wages for their empliyees.

@Snowpuppy 

I talked with a few employees here at Wal-Mart. Yes they have Health Ins but it does not cover everything. The girls I talked to said they were told what their Ins does not cover they can get the state to help them with because of their low wages?

Wal-Mart makes enough money to pay their employees better than they do. They can also provide decent health care. They are just greedy & sticking the money in their own pockets.

Yes they will continue to raise their prices like everyone else. It's not always cheaper at Wal-Mart.

Interesting that you use the self check out counters and order groceries online because they are easier, yet still take up employees time with conversations about their benefits and wages.  Guess that is why there are such long lines the others are complaining about,  Do you have those same conversations everywhere you shop or just at Walmart?

@CrazyDaisy, this is kind of an odd reaction to @Nightowlz's comment. She didn't say that she was in line at the time she spoke to some employees. But even if she were, the conversation wasn't necessarily any longer than the normal chitchat that goes on during checkout.

@suzyQ3 

I just started ordering groceries online at Wal-Mart.

Before I started doing that I would buy $300-$400 worth of stuff because I don't want go back. I always used self-checkout. I'm not talking to the cashier. I'm talking to the lady at the front that helps people using self checkout. She came over & started talking to me. She was not busy. I'm not keeping anyone from doing their job.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I don't shop WM because of their practices. I did go into a WM last month to pick up 1 item and stunned to see there was only 1 cashier at the lane that sells cigarettes. All others are now self serve.

This is profitable for WM. If you think they won't hike prices, they will. No doubt this is pushback to the move for higher wages for their empliyees.

@Snowpuppy 

I talked with a few employees here at Wal-Mart. Yes they have Health Ins but it does not cover everything. The girls I talked to said they were told what their Ins does not cover they can get the state to help them with because of their low wages?

Wal-Mart makes enough money to pay their employees better than they do. They can also provide decent health care. They are just greedy & sticking the money in their own pockets.

Yes they will continue to raise their prices like everyone else. It's not always cheaper at Wal-Mart.

Interesting that you use the self check out counters and order groceries online because they are easier, yet still take up employees time with conversations about their benefits and wages.  Guess that is why there are such long lines the others are complaining about,  Do you have those same conversations everywhere you shop or just at Walmart?

@CrazyDaisy, this is kind of an odd reaction to @Nightowlz's comment. She didn't say that she was in line at the time she spoke to some employees. But even if she were, the conversation wasn't necessarily any longer than the normal chitchat that goes on during checkout.

Normal chitchat would not include a person's wages and healthcare coverage.  Who with any class would have that discussion with a total stranger in a Walmart.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

If Walmart raises wages and gives out great health insurance they will have to raise prices. Then you might as well go back to your regualar grocery store and Walmart can just close.

Walmart is a great help to lower income people who can't afford a lot. It's also a source of second jobs for people just starting out. If part timers there are getting insurance that's pretty shocking to. I suggest no one look into what CVS is doing. Last I knew when I worked there they almost never had full time workers and it was mostly due to the cost of insurance. It's a huge expense to companies.

But if anyone wants to go out and open a store and hire all full time workers with great insurance have at it. Oh and keep your markup at about 20% which is about the norm.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

Need more evidence of the upward pressure on pay? An average full-time Walmart store associate in America makes $14.26 per hour, almost double the federal minimum wage of $7.25.

That's according to Walmart's inaugural Environmental, Social, and Governance Report, which was published on Tuesday. The 94-page document disclosed a number of Walmart's private figures on U.S. employee compensation, including a minimum starting salary of $11 per hour and an average store manager compensation of $175,000 per year. It also noted that 55 percent of Walmart's American workforce is female, and 44 percent are people of color.

My youngest son works at a distribution center.  He's 20 years old, young and strong; won't be able to do this forever because it is hard work, 3 days a week, 12 hour shifts is considered fulltime.

But he's making $20 an hour, which is more than I ever made as an hourly worker.  

And they work around his college classes and Army Reserve schedule.

Walmart offers a 401K, stock options (which if you got in early in the 1980s, turned out to be very profitable), health insurance, and help with college. I don't believe they are quite as evil as people want to believe they are. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Travone wrote:

This is our fautl....throughout the years we have accepted lower and lower standards for customer service.  Now, there is none.  We are expected to bring in our carts from the parking lot, check out our own groceries and bag our own groceries......all for no compensation or discounts.  Because we accepted the changes when they first made them, they are now the standard.  We are free labor for the grocery stores.  I'm waiting for the day they ask me to help unload the produce truck.

Yes, a consumer wants lower and lower prices. It  comes at a cost to everyone.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Is this a thread about the evils of self-checkout....

or just another bag-on-Walmart thread?

@sidsmom   Appears  to be a bit of both🙂

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Snowpuppy 

Normal chitchat would not include a person's wages and healthcare coverage.  Who with any class would have that discussion with a total stranger in a Walmart.

@CrazyDaisy, I don't think that @Nightowlz said that they discussed personal wages.

I have been privy to a few employees' conversations at my supermarket regarding employee issues.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland