Frequent Contributor

Could anyone please, please have a suggestion for help in preventing stray cats for doing their business on or in front of my front door?  Very disgusting.  Thank you in advance.

Honored Contributor

There are recipes online to make a vinegar or citrus concoction that you can spray around the area.  Maybe even saturate some old rags and leave them around your property. 

Trusted Contributor

Is there something particular they are being drawn to? (a cushion, plant, etc?) Do you have cats? If so are they fixed and/or neutered?

When we have a problem with the cats indoors or if I am trying to keep critters outside away from an area I have found Ssscat to be really effective. Clean the area with hot water and a heavy duty cleaner (do not use ammonia based cleaners), spray with alcohol, and then place a Ssscat spray in the area. But be aware...anything or anyone apporaching the area will set it off! There is no harm but the noise may startle folks, which is what it does to cats. I found that a good odor eliminator is Pooph.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

Are you talking #1 or #2?  Is it in the dirt or are they spraying?

I have a bunch of feral cats that hang out on my property.  To keep them out of the dirt I have to lay down some chicken wire.  Nothing else has worked.

Good luck with the spraying.  My cats seem to have a contest spraying in my carport.  They especially spray my van.  The last couple of times I have driven it.........wheew.

They don't both the car tho.   They use my van as their springboard to jump up in the rafters where they sleep.  There's always muddy pawprints all over the hood of the van and sliding down the windshield.  They sure are a pain.

Honored Contributor

In my community, where cat are not supposed to be roaming according to city ordinance, people with neighbors with pesky cats trap them and take them to animal control.  The owner can then pay a fee to get them back.  After a couple if times, they seem to get the message.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Good luck in finding a deterrent. I've tried lots of products to keep cats from using the area near my front door as their potty station. It's a landscaped area with decorative plants. So, there's dirt and mulch they love.

Not a pleasant area for those who come to the front door, or for me to take care of the plants in that area, particularly in the heat of summer. But, I've just given up.

There are too many feral cats (and roamers) here to win the battle. One neighbor works hard to capture and release after spay, or neuter. It keeps the population down some. It's the only positive about the situation. 

I also often find remains of birds in my front yard that have provided dinner for one of the roamers. So it can be a mess.

I love cats, but loathe those who are irresponsible owners, letting their, so called pets, roam. Or, live a life outside, with no respect for the animal, or the negative effects. 

Esteemed Contributor

@little missy wrote:

Could anyone please, please have a suggestion for help in preventing stray cats for doing their business on or in front of my front door?  Very disgusting.  Thank you in advance.

@little missy 

We are Cat Owners, and at 1 time had 13, Indoor Only Cats. We presently have 3, they will never be outside our home, unless in a carrier, going to our vet.

First. How do you know these are "stray cats"? Over the years, I have seen many different cats, that I knew were not strays. If I knew the ones that owned them, I spoke with them about this. Most often eliminated the issue.

This is not only my suggestion, is what I actually have done. If necessary, I will do it again, should the need arise.

I bought a Humane Animal Trap. From there I put in foods that cats love to eat. Since we moved here in 2001, I have probably trapped close to 75 cats. Some are smarter than others, so it took a little more ingenuity, to catch them.

Then see if there are any "Cat Rescue" Organizations where you live, and contact them. If not, contact your Humane Society.

If it is as "disgusting", as you say! This I not only suggest, I practice what I suggest.   =^..^=

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Fresh orange peels will temporarily work until you decide what you want to do.  Just put them close to where the cats do their business.  

Respected Contributor

they like my porch where we sit.  They especially like to go on the furniture covers.  We have tried sprays, etc. and still they come.  I think there are two that come at night, a grey and a yellow.  Also like to go in our flower gardens.  DH hates weeding around cat poop.  We have been unsuccessful in detering them.  Don't think they are strays either.  People let them out at night.

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

they like my porch where we sit.  They especially like to go on the furniture covers.  We have tried sprays, etc. and still they come.  I think there are two that come at night, a grey and a yellow.  Also like to go in our flower gardens.  DH hates weeding around cat poop.  We have been unsuccessful in detering them.  Don't think they are strays either. 

"People let them out at night".

@KathyM23 

These "people" must believe in the "Old Wives Tale". "Put the cat out at night". But Dogs? Heaven forbid, they are too dumb and don't have "Night Vision Goggles to see".

Cat owners that are true cat lovers, DO NOT LET THEM OUT of their sight outdoors.

Over the years I have picked up at least 100 dead cats on roadways/city streets/Interstates etc. During those same years, I have picked up 7 dead dogs. HELLO!!!!

People who "let their cats out at night" are not caring Pet owners, they are a whole bunch of words I can't use here. I feel sad for any feline that ends up with someone that claims to love them, but believes the BS "put the cat out at night".

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)