Valued Contributor

Re: can't read or write cursive

People should know how to and be able to write and read cursive.  Some day, they may want to read a historical document written in cursive.  Some day, they might want to write a personal note in a greeting card or write a love letter and have it not appear to be written by a child.  It doesn't necessarily have to be pretty as long as it's legible.  Whether used every day or not, it's something one should be able to do.

I'm planning my next career as a cursive reader, charging lots of money.

They also should be able to do simple arithmetic, like percentages and making change, without a calculator. 

Recent bill at grocery store was $5.99.  Handed clerk a $20 and  $1.  She tried to hand back the $1.  (Why don't they just punch it into computer and let computer do the thinking?)  I told her doing it that way, she won't have to give me a bunch of ones.  She punched it in and somehow managed to fumble that, saying to me that she messed that up.  Trying to rescue her, I told her she owed me one penny and $15 which she gave me.  Granted, probably hardly anyone pays with real money, but that's just something people should know how to do, particularly those who work in retail.  

Don't people want to know how much 25%, for example, is before hauling an item up to the check-out ... being capable of quickly figuring percentages in their head?  Don't people want to know how many of an item they can afford when it's on sale ... being

capable of quickly multiplying in their head?

There are many things one should be capable of even if that skill isn't used every day.  Not to mention that acquiring various skills develops and exercises the brain.

Valued Contributor

@songbird This is me exactly. I'm left handed also. The only time I wrote in cursive was in my cursive writing class. The only thing I use it for is my signature. In this day and age I find that I hardly ever need to hand write anything if ever. Maybe a shopping list. That's about it.

Respected Contributor

@panda1234

I read it that way too and was stunned.   Then I realized he can read just not read cursive.   So, you are not alone.  

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake

Boy that brings back memories.  My dad was a stickler for good penmanship -- hours of "circles" to perfect our handwriting.  We were taught the Palmer method of cursive writing (I still have my original ink cartridge pen & writing books).

His big thing was "you will be judged in life by the neatness of your handwriting"..a "reflection of you!" .so true!  I admit I do have beautiful penmanship both cursive & print.

In high school as elective I took typing & shorthand.  We had a wonderful teacher...somedays I wish I could remember those steno letters!  I loved both🙂.  I bet some of your students feel the same about you!

Of course, dictation became obsolete a few years in the workforce when technology came along!  

Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee

I agree.  As a former teacher, I was aghast to learn cursive wasn't taught anymore.   And yes, many students can't tell time on a clock or watch.  

But I've come to think that it doesn't matter.  They can put their name on documents, they master a keyboard and tablets/iPads by age 2 and many are learning to code in early elementary school.   

Times change and so do the skills that are important.  

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo  Most schools no longer teach cursive. Haven't for many years. Where have you been throughout your step-children's lives? Don't you write them thank you notes? If so, you would know that you need to print them! I do for my 12-year old grandson. But, I'm active in his school and social life and have known all along that school systems have not been using cursive. (Can't say I agree with the decision, but no one asked me.)

BTW: What does three bathrooms have to do with cursive? I have more than that! So does my son and DIL. And yes, my grandson has his own bathroom. Big deal. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Your handwriting is not a reflection of your character . Of who you are. No more so than the color of your eyes or how much money you have.

Beautiful handwriting is a learned skill and more than that, a talent. I'm a left hander who had to learn the Palmer method. It was painful and unnatural for me, but by God I have good handwriting!

I think it is a nice skill for kids to have, but if it is going to be archaic, maybe it can be taught in art classes like calligraphy  is.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1  Thanks to dad's insistance, I have good handwriting and print. My daughter loved her grandpa's handwriting on her cards, etc. and practiced 'her style' for hours. She has a lovely handwriting.

We have a massive wall calendar at work. People run the other way and don't want to write on the calendar at the beginning of each month so my boss asked me to. 

It's amazing how many professors I work with who have such strange and child-like handwriting.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@12megley wrote:

I blame the parents for this! This is not only ridiculous, but wrong! Our taxes are going towards teachers teaching our children! So glad mine are grown....

Since you are so unhappy with your school system, why not volunteer in the schools? Better yet, run for a position on your school board.  I volunteered in schools and served on the school board throughout my children's school careers.  It was very rewarding!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

I have a friend who believes in conspiracies. He believes they no longer teach children to read and write cursive has to do with the declaration of independence and other formal documents that were written in cursive. As the generations die out, the children born in late 90's and forward will not know what they say, making them obsolete.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18