Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: can't read or write cursive

[ Edited ]

My husband told me a friend's adult son could not read or write cursive. My response was that if the school didn't teach it I darn well would have taught it at home. My children are adults now and read and write cursive. My son's signature though is a scrawl.

Also in his job he has to submit reports and his employer has commented he's the only one who uses complete sentences.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

All of my grandkids, ages 9 to 16, have been taught to read and write cursive. I’m in the Midwest.  Hopefully, studies showing the correlation between taking notes in cursive and memory retention will spur more schools to return to it. 

ETA, I must have missed your post, @GrailSeeker.  Thanks for providing links. 

Respected Contributor

If learning cursive is important to you, why not teach your kids yourself?  Parents need to know that schools are not responsible for all learning. Much of it can occur at home.

Poor spelling is not a generational anomaly.  We see plenty of spelling challenged people here.

Respected Contributor

Where my DH works he sees many Children who can't write a paragraph. Many can't spell correctly. He teaches high school 😔
Esteemed Contributor

my 16 year-old granddaughter is a straight A student....but can't write in cursive....drives me crazy....she struggled when she had to sign her driver's permit in cursive!!  her parents think it's no big deal...which also drives me crazy!!!

Honored Contributor

throughout high school and college my kids could not even turn in a paper that was handwritten. everything had to be printed out and turned in OR more often, sent as a file and turned in via computer.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

This used to bother me, but not anymore. I realized that I have trouble reading writing from the 1800s. Look up " copperplate" writing.  It is the same thing now. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

@Meowingkitty   In response to your post, I agree and I'll add that young people working in stores do not know how to make change unless the register shows the amount due to the customer.

I see lots of adults at registers who can't make change without help either. So what?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

you can pretty much scribble anything that looks remotely like a signature and THAT can be your signature. it doesnt have to be legible.

check out mark zuckerbergs

https://digitalsynopsis.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/signatures-of-famous-people-handwriting-analysis.jpg

http://www.tomfolio.com/signatures/images/k/KissingerHenry.jpg

https://admin.mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/jack-lew-signature.jpg

https://www.goautographs.com/7530-large_default/j-k-rowling-signature.jpg

I purposely have a scribble   signature....so no one else can copy it.  I practiced over and over again in my 20’s until I found the signature scribble that liked.  It is what I use. Today. 

Why would any body have an easy to copy signature?

Esteemed Contributor

When I read here that schools don't teach cursive, I ordered my (then) 7 year old GS  intruction and practive books. 

He said he will learn it in 3rd grade (next school year).  He learned to read at home before he went to school.  So he was happy to start learning cursive before 3rd grade. 

I told him his Momma has beautiful cursive handwriting and he could also if he practices.