Respected Contributor

Re: auto upload of windows 10

Glad you found what you needed to take care of your Win 10 issue here , @Snoopp. Woman Happy   It's all about knowing your options!Woman Wink

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Respected Contributor

Based on my previous experiences with Windows Updates to Windows 7, I never install them (aside from security) for at least a couple of weeks.  I got tired of having to restore and wait for fixes that actually worked here.  If you can't tell, MS hasn't been chalking up many points here for quite awhile.  The more I hear about Win 10, the more I'm leaning toward (don't say it) Apple! Woman Surprised  Luckily, I can just sit back, glean for awhile,  and take my time deciding.  Love those options!Woman LOL

Sounds like your internet speed is nice and high, @chickenbutt.  One more thing to check off the list!Woman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Honored Contributor

Hey Gokat!  That sounds like a good idea.  I usually install the updates that I want to install as soon as they come in.  I use Secunia PSI and if it's not at 100% it bugs me.  hehe - I'm so neurotic these days!

I have two more laptops to get on the new network.  At least I DID get the GSX thing on all of them already, so that's a done deal.   I feel like I've been beat up from going up and down the stairs a zillion times today!

The Charter guys did a great job and replaced all my cables, too!  That was nice.  They said a lot of them were really old.  Even though they were only here for internet and landline, they replaced the cables on my TVs and Tivos too.  Things seem good.  Glad it's done!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

Chloe's Mom - Oh good!  Smiley Happy  Yay for speedy computers and no problems!

I just changed my ISP from ATT Uverse to Charter (our cable co).  It's weird because I went from (up to) 24mbps internet speed to (up to) 60mbps and it seems the same to me.   I think once you get the internet part up to a certain speed it's pretty much all the same.

I even did a speed test and it came in at 53+ mbps.

But keeping the computer cleaned out makes a HUGE difference toward speed of processing!  Any time I do any updates, go on my bank account, or pay bills, I run the CCleaner and do a defrag.  

I like the Auslogics Defrag program (free) because it does a good job and is a zillion times faster than the Windows one that's on the computer.

Do that kind of stuff with whatever frequency is appropriate to YOUR computer use, and you will have fast running efficiency.

Also make sure you don't have those Windows Updates running automatically!  Just have it check for updates but let you know so that you can punch them through yourself AND control which ones you do.  To hide the ones you don't want, just right-click on the update and choose 'hide update'.

@chickenbutt Auslogics is off and running . . . what a lovely little bunch of icons I have now thank goodness . . . thank you all again for ALL of your help . . . this has been a tough couple of weeks for me and I am so, so grateful that there are those you can rely on to help you in your time of need and give you a smile!

Thank you all again my friends, so very much appreciated!  Heart

eta:  Hey, did you know a defrag doesn't take four hours . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hey Gokat!  That sounds like a good idea.  I usually install the updates that I want to install as soon as they come in.  I use Secunia PSI and if it's not at 100% it bugs me.  hehe - I'm so neurotic these days!

I have two more laptops to get on the new network.  At least I DID get the GSX thing on all of them already, so that's a done deal.   I feel like I've been beat up from going up and down the stairs a zillion times today!

The Charter guys did a great job and replaced all my cables, too!  That was nice.  They said a lot of them were really old.  Even though they were only here for internet and landline, they replaced the cables on my TVs and Tivos too.  Things seem good.  Glad it's done!!

@chickenbutt Comcast replaced my cable lines today too as they said "the squirrels had chewed through them" . . . and that is my problem how?

Sigh.

Honored Contributor

Oh wow, that's weird that the squirrels would chew through them!  

Mine were just plain older than dirt so it was nice to get them replaced.  They didn't charge me for that, though.

I hope Comcast didn't charge you.   It seems like anything outside your house should be covered by them.  I think it might have just been a courtesy they they also replaced cables I had inside my house.  He also put some kind of a booster thing in behind one of my TVs that he said would make my tv better somehow.  Forgot to ask how.  oops!   He said something about it being because I have so many devices.

We've had Charter for cable tv for as long as I can remember.   They have so few outages that I can't even count.  Now that I also have their internet and landline, I have to deal with it ALL going out if there is an outage.  gadzooks!  Fortunately, they've been few and far between.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Oh wow, that's weird that the squirrels would chew through them!  

Mine were just plain older than dirt so it was nice to get them replaced.  They didn't charge me for that, though.

I hope Comcast didn't charge you.   It seems like anything outside your house should be covered by them.  I think it might have just been a courtesy they they also replaced cables I had inside my house.  He also put some kind of a booster thing in behind one of my TVs that he said would make my tv better somehow.  Forgot to ask how.  oops!   He said something about it being because I have so many devices.

We've had Charter for cable tv for as long as I can remember.   They have so few outages that I can't even count.  Now that I also have their internet and landline, I have to deal with it ALL going out if there is an outage.  gadzooks!  Fortunately, they've been few and far between.

@chickenbutt I was charged $50 for the original installation which I have no plan on paying and will take this up with them tomorrow.  If they do not take this off the bill, I will switch back to AT&T as in my state (IL) you have 60 days to change your mind, no questions asked.

The installer today was very good and clearly better schooled in installation as even after replacing the wires the internet would not come online.  I like AT&T CS much better but Comcast is definitely faster . . . sigh, what to do, what to do . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Oh, I see.  I had to pay for the install with Charter (unfortunately, more than $50) but I knew that going in and there was no other choice.  I figure I got my money's worth with all he did at least!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe@chickenbutt

What? What new job adventure, mtc? Sounds interesting and good luck!
I'm telling you, thank heavens I'm retired -- the computer misbehavior would play havoc with a schedule!
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I find it hard to believe that it would install without hitting "accept".  It needs your permission as others have stated. Downloading and Install are two separate things.  If you don't want it then when it no longer is free in July it will cost over $100 but less than $200.  My windows 10 was placed there voluntarily.  

Most people have their updates set to install them. Unless you set it to only install the updates you want it will eventually install on your computer. Each time DH did updates he had to make sure Win 10 update did not have a check mark in it to install. DH kept hiding the Win 10 update. He has since installed it on all 3 of our computers. We have not had any problems.

Neither have I. In fact, I am using it now, as I type this.

The way that I look at is this, when this placed updated, there were many who grumbled that they didn't like the change, it was "too confusing", "too hard", etc.

But many people got use to the way that the new set up is, and are now comfortable with it.

Same with Windows 10.

They are comfortable with whatever set up they have, and don't want to be taken out of their comfort zone, and see just how easy Windows 10 is.

It really is no harder to learn how to use, than it is to learn how to use your smart phone.

If you can figure out how to work your smart phone, than it should be a snap to figure out Windows 10.

Afterall, if I can figure it out, then anybody can.

I have been using 10 for a couple of weeks now. DH installed it on the 2 laptops first.

My dad did not want Win 10 either. His hard drive failed so he bought a new computer that already has 10 on it. He asked DH if he could put 7 on it. LOL!!! He bought Windows 10 for Seniors for Dummies.