Honored Contributor

Re: auto upload of windows 10

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I'm happy to say that I just ran a rocvery and I'm now BACK to my fav 8.1 - YAHOO!!!!!!

And it ran quickly too.  Everything is back to normal now.  I also changed my 'updates' to letting ME choose updates BEFORE they do and just randomly install them without my knowing until they're done.

I will not install W10, been there done that - don't like it.

@PINKdogWOOD I just want to say thanks for starting this thread.  I have (like everybody else) have been getting pounded by Microsoft and this morning received the "we are going to install in 15 minutes" message.  I was able to wiggle out of it and also changed my settings away from the auto-install setting.

I am not against this update but I bought this laptop the week they launched Windows 7.  It was a low end model then so even though MS says I have enough of whatever Windows 10 needs to be honest I don't believe them and I need my computer right now for my job search.

I hope this takes care of it for now but again thank you for starting this thread!  

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Not only should 'this type of stuff' be regulated, it (allegedly) seems rather anti-American. You know, freedom of choice, etc., etc. .   Whatever happened to being in control of our own private property?  After all, we choose and purchase our computers with our own money.  I don't know........seems like (allegedly) a control issue (a company's personality disorder?), if you ask me (and many other friends who have been discussing this situation.  There's a saying that I can't think of right now.........something like: 'Whatever gave you the idea that...........'   Well, all we can do is wish ourselves a lot of luck now and in the future.

@ROMARY

Windows did a promo last year (I think it was 2015) saying "Windows 10 is coming and reserve your free copy now" ... or something to that effect.   Many people thought sure, hey, what the heck, and clicked Yes,  but didn't realize that cookies were then attached and the computer was somehow identified for future installation.   This seems to be the justification ... you said you wanted Windows 10 and reserved your copy ...  so here it is.

@Good thing @Gokat is looking out for us!   Whew!  LOL

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

Can it be "uninstalled"?

Yes it can be uninstalled. It installed on both my sisters computers. DH fixed 1 sisters laptop remote from our house. He told my other sister how to go back & she had no problem doing that. 

Probably most need to change their updates to install to only install the updates you want installed.

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

I find it hard to believe that it would install without hitting "accept".  It needs your permission as others have stated. Downloading and Install are two separate things.  If you don't want it then when it no longer is free in July it will cost over $100 but less than $200.  My windows 10 was placed there voluntarily.  

Most people have their updates set to install them. Unless you set it to only install the updates you want it will eventually install on your computer. Each time DH did updates he had to make sure Win 10 update did not have a check mark in it to install. DH kept hiding the Win 10 update. He has since installed it on all 3 of our computers. We have not had any problems.

Honored Contributor

In General:  When something (anything) is 'forced' upon us, it usually ends up to be counter-productive.  In other words, it's a 'turn-off' deep within our minds.   Something we learned years ago in an Advertising class.  Funny how things that we learned many, many years ago are turning out to be true now-a-days, all of these years later.........  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Whatever browser those that had this happen?  Change your settings on that browser. Unlike Microsoft is breaking a law, they cannot install a new operating system on anyone's computer.

Change your settings from: AUTOMATICALLY DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL to NO, or ASK ME FIRST.

hnj

I'm pretty sure you have to change your updates to only install updates you want. You have to take the check mark out of each one you don't want installed. DH only installs the updates he wants installed on the computer. Win 10 always had a check mark & DH would have to uncheck it when he did updates.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I find it hard to believe that it would install without hitting "accept".  It needs your permission as others have stated. Downloading and Install are two separate things.  If you don't want it then when it no longer is free in July it will cost over $100 but less than $200.  My windows 10 was placed there voluntarily.  

Most people have their updates set to install them. Unless you set it to only install the updates you want it will eventually install on your computer. Each time DH did updates he had to make sure Win 10 update did not have a check mark in it to install. DH kept hiding the Win 10 update. He has since installed it on all 3 of our computers. We have not had any problems.

Neither have I. In fact, I am using it now, as I type this.

The way that I look at is this, when this placed updated, there were many who grumbled that they didn't like the change, it was "too confusing", "too hard", etc.

But many people got use to the way that the new set up is, and are now comfortable with it.

Same with Windows 10.

They are comfortable with whatever set up they have, and don't want to be taken out of their comfort zone, and see just how easy Windows 10 is.

It really is no harder to learn how to use, than it is to learn how to use your smart phone.

If you can figure out how to work your smart phone, than it should be a snap to figure out Windows 10.

Afterall, if I can figure it out, then anybody can.

Honored Contributor

Some of the problems that are experienced by some people, with upgrading an operating system, are incompatibility issues and things that end up corrupted in the course of upgrading the OS.   

I've experienced this in the past and that is why, this time, I chose to NOT have any of my computers upgrade the OS.

I have nothing against Win10, per se, because I've not used it yet.  But I am familiar with things that CAN happen in the course of upgrading an OS on an existing computer, so I stay shy of that now.

I'm going to keep my computers with Win7 and Win8.1 and, should the time come before these are no longer supported by MS, I'll purchase a Win10 (or whatever the OS du jour is) computer with no problem.

But I really AM glad that many people have upgraded and not had problems with their computers.    Computer problems are so far beyond frustrating that I don't even want to think about it, as I'll get anxiety!  Smiley Wink

I'm in the middle of changing my ISP (tech coming over today) and I'm just anxious that it won't go well, especially since I've already changed my email addresses at a ton of sites.  Will be glad when that's over!  You never know when something might go smoothly, or it goes kerflooey!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just read your post, @momtochloe.

If you're in the middle of a job search, the LAST thing you need is MS knocking at your door continually to install a new OS!Woman LOL

Please do yourself a favor.  Google GWX Control Panel.  Download it from the Ultimate Outsider site.  The program will clean all the Win 10 related files MS has downloaded to your computer. (and probably slowed it down) Then it will automatically block the Win 10 mislabeled Update files from installing automatically going forward.  It is reversible so if you decide you DO want Win 10, just uninstall it.  This aggressive process will only increase by MS at least until the end of July when a price will be added to the Win 10 standalone versions.  In the meantime, with the program, you can rest easy.Woman Wink

In addition, when time allows, you should clean your computer with a cleaner.  I use CC Cleaner (freebie available online via Google, if you're not already using it).  Also, run the Register Cleaner within the program.  MS leaves files behind which you don't need/want.  This will clear them for you.  HTH'sWoman Happy 

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Honored Contributor

@Gokat wrote:

I just read your post, @momtochloe.

If you're in the middle of a job search, the LAST thing you need is MS knocking at your door continually to install a new OS!Woman LOL

Please do yourself a favor.  Google GWX Control Panel.  Download it from the Ultimate Outsider site.  The program will clean all the Win 10 related files MS has downloaded to your computer. (and probably slowed it down) Then it will automatically block the Win 10 mislabeled Update files from installing automatically going forward.  It is reversible so if you decide you DO want Win 10, just uninstall it.  This aggressive process will only increase by MS at least until the end of July when a price will be added to the Win 10 standalone versions.  In the meantime, with the program, you can rest easy.Woman Wink

In addition, when time allows, you should clean your computer with a cleaner.  I use CC Cleaner (freebie available online via Google, if you're not already using it).  Also, run the Register Cleaner within the program.  MS leaves files behind which you don't need/want.  This will clear them for you.  HTH'sWoman Happy 

Oh @Gokat thank you so much for this!!!  I just downloaded it but need to ask a dumb question . . . do I go ahead and click on all of the options that are listed on the main menu (especially clear Windows Update Cache)?

Sorry to be a pest but I just don't want to mess anything up . . . Smiley Sad