Frequent Contributor

Re: auto upload of windows 10

Yes, someone in Window's 10 land decided to just download every computer. It happened to mine, without any message notifying me that it was downloaded. I was furious and it took me quite awhile to figure it out. If you don't want Windows 10, Google  "restore Windows ( and add what ever version you have - I had 8.1) from Windows 10. Look for the Microsoft download web site, not some random web site. I also have chosen to keep the "Classic Shell" startup instead of all the apps. If you want to revert back to that as well, you need to Google search "classic shell" and reinstall it. So...that was my weekend...however when I got to work on Monday...guess what message was on my work screen? Yup - "Welcome to Windows 10" - all installed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

it sometimes amazes me when I check over the topics here -- I am not alone in the bizarre things that happen to me (or someone I know)😱😀

I have only Apple products but my son has a pc.  I skyped with GD everyday and yesterday he called to tell me we couldn't because

somehow "Windows 10 uploaded" messed up his whole computer .and he was surprised because he said it automatically did it! I know most of the day he's been trying to UNinstall it.

so glad I don't have these problems with any of my Apple products. Just talked to him told him he's "not alone"! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not only should 'this type of stuff' be regulated, it (allegedly) seems rather anti-American. You know, freedom of choice, etc., etc. .   Whatever happened to being in control of our own private property?  After all, we choose and purchase our computers with our own money.  I don't know........seems like (allegedly) a control issue (a company's personality disorder?), if you ask me (and many other friends who have been discussing this situation.  There's a saying that I can't think of right now.........something like: 'Whatever gave you the idea that...........'   Well, all we can do is wish ourselves a lot of luck now and in the future.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried to find 'the place' (settings) where we can click 'No' or 'Ask me first', but it's not to be found in my Tools section.  Where else can I find it in/on my browser?  Many of us aren't tech saavy.  And that's why I don't do any business (underline 'any') online.  My computer is solely used for entertainment, sort of a 'hobby'.   p.s.  Don't forget to save your receipts for the cost of having the store's computer repair 'geeks' (or whatever they're called) remove W10 and restore it back to our normal speed.  (Just in case M*cros*ft has a 'change of heart' one day and decides to reimburse us for our time, trouble, and repair costs.) 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY

Here's what you need to to in order to set your Windows Updates to be able to check them before installing:

Go to your Start Menu.

Select "All Programs"

Under All Programs Select Windows Updates

Click on Windows Update

Once in Windows Update on the left you will see "Change Settings"

Click on "Change Settings"

Under Important Updates there is a menu

Select "Check for updates but let me decide whether to download and install them."

This will set your preferences so you can review all your Windows updates before they install.

Because you say you don't want to add anything to your computer, you'll need to manually check for the optional mislabeled updates MS is sending through more and more often now to attempt to install Windows 10 to your computer.  The Windows Update numbers to check for on Windows 7 are: KB....5583, 2664, and/or 1917.  If you have Windows 8, KB....2543 is the one you need to check for (last four digits of each).  If one or more of those appears in your Updates, you need to hide the file(s) by right clicking on it and selecting "Hide File".  That will keep it from installing until MS decides to send it/them through again.  This is happening more and more often as the July deadline for the free Windows 10 approaches. You will now be notified of your Windows Updates in your Notifications area (lower right corner)

The GWX Control Program is the one I'm using successfully (and posted a thread about "FIX" in Electronics)  and it automatically cleans whatever MS may have loaded to a computer relevant to Windows 10 and then continually blocks those Updates going forward so you don't have to concern yourself with them. 

I do understand your hesitation so you can handle it either way.  HTH'sWoman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Honored Contributor

@Burnsite  Yeah, I know those gerbils.  I'd work hard to get those little furry guys & gals out of my computer too!!!

Here's what's funny - attempted to turn it on first thing this morning and it wouldn't - turn on that is!!!!!  So after the on/off thing a cople of times, attempting a few things to get it going, what I found out was WHAT???!!! yep, you guessed it - installing yet more updates!!!!

Computers - like I wrote to my Sis, who invented these things???  They make us slaves to them but they don't behave for us at all.  Such pains in the rearend for sure!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Gooday  I bought this new Acer a yr or so ago (maybe 2 but no longer) with 8.1 - loved it. 

Jury's certain out on 10, we'll see.  It wouldn't boot this morning, I laughed outloud.  Just figures - oh wait, installing yet more updates I finally found out.

Esteemed Contributor

I updated from Windows 8.1 and I really like it so much better than 8.1. I haven't had any issues with it.....

Honored Contributor

I'm happy to say that I just ran a rocvery and I'm now BACK to my fav 8.1 - YAHOO!!!!!!

And it ran quickly too.  Everything is back to normal now.  I also changed my 'updates' to letting ME choose updates BEFORE they do and just randomly install them without my knowing until they're done.

I will not install W10, been there done that - don't like it.

Honored Contributor

We have new innards on our desktop courtesy of one of our sons who upgraded our computer to Windows 10 from 7. Some computers as others have stated, do not have the computing capacity to handle Windows 10 and should stay with their original OS. 

Our son upgraded some of the innards needed to handle Windows 10 and our desktop runs a lot faster now. Our desktop with the older components was a lot slower when running Windows 7.

Windows 10 as our son explained it, is a marriage between the best of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. It is also securer than Windows 7 because you do not need to update the antivirus program from Microsoft Security Essentials. When you power down on Windows 10 you will see either 'Shut Off' or 'Shut Off and Update' at least once a week.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼