Trusted Contributor

Re: auto upload of windows 10

Microsoft has made it clear it was going to be a forced update by a certain date. They are going to discontinue (eventually) all other operating systems. They have their Windows 10 baby now, and all the other OP systems were just the lead up to combining regular computer with app capability so there can be "across all device" usage (just as Apple does).

Behind the scenes, unbeknownst to anyone (unless you are a techie and examine every update that comes in), they have been putting all the updates needed to change to windows 10 on your computer, to just sit in wait for the forced Windows 10 download.

Very sleezy, almost feels illegal. There is a thread here in Electronics that has a good program to download that will block Microsoft from being able to download it automatically.

Win10 still has a lot of problems when put on over an old operating system. Still a lot of conflicts (which are really a pain because then you spend half your time on tech boards trying to find an answer to any particular problem). There are some great tech boards that have trustworthy information to fix glitches.

I downloaded the blocking program. So happy someone posted it here.(in electronics)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@2blonde

MS is up to tricks!

when you get home... if you are watching, you can "catch" it amped keep it from downloading WIN10! For me, it started happening upon start-up.

@Gokat and @can "dig you u out" if that happens. 

@chickenbutt "and"

Look for the strands ... 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

They keep threatening me  about auto download and so far I have been able to stop it. I hate the fact that they continue to threaten me though when they know I do not want it. 

I also noticed that today when I had to renew my MSM Premium account, that is jumped in price from last year of $59.95 a year to $89.95 a year.  They are gouging$$$$ me on one account and threatening me with download of 10 on the other... of course NO HUMAN TO SPEAK TO ABOUT IT. 

Everything becomes corrupt sooner or later.  What they are doing with pushing this program should be illegal.  I have managed so far to avoid it, but then I don't leave my computer on . . . ever, if I'm not using it.  It's like leaving the doors to your house unlocked and even open.  It doesn't take that long to boot up a computer.  Shut it off when not using it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

If you go to the 'Electronics' forum, here on this board, you'll see a couple of threads about this issue.   This sort of thing has been warned for quite a while now.

I don't understand allowing Windows to automatically process the updates!   One should make their settings in 'Windows Updates' set to just letting you know what updates are available and let YOU choose which ones to install.  This is imperative.

Either way you decide to go, I hope things go smoothly.  A lot of people have problems with the OS upgrade on existing computers because a lot of stuff is not compatible, especially if you are going from Win7 to Win10.

Somebody mentioned that there is a Win8.2?   I haven't heard of this.  Now I feel out of touch.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I have an Acer that automatically updated to Win 10 in December.  They didn't ask and I probably would have declined if they did.  But once I had Win 10, there was an adjustment but it really was no big deal.  I use my laptop for work, so I had to learn to maneuver around pretty quickly.  "I can't find it now" was not an option.  It didn't take lone before Win 10 was second nature to me.  But, to be honest, I don't see any advantages to it. 

Hmmm..that's odd.  I also have an Acer but my OS is Windows7.  About once a week I get a link that ASKS if I would like to upgrade now to 10 and I just click the X.  I love my Windows 7.  DH has 8.1 and he cusses twice a day.  I told him to either buy a new laptop or zip it!

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt

I was just about to refer them to Electronics.

I was fighting to keep all the Windows 10 updates and it was getting exhausting .... so now I have the program installed --- GWX something --- that prevents this from ever being installed ... unless I decide to do so.   

You shouldn't have to fight with Windows with what you want or don't want on your computer!

Honored Contributor

Hey Tink!  Yeah, tell me about it.  What a huge ball of frustration this thing has been.

They should have just made the offer and given a 'no freaking thank you' option.  The end.  geez!  Smiley Sad

That's what was initially maddening - I couldn't just make it leave me alone, until I installed the GWX Control Panel software.  Then, to find out that it's pushing it that hard.  Argh

I hope people do their homework and change their settings so that NO updates are forced.   It's to their best advantage to learn about computer maintenance and such.    I had to learn the hard way on my first computer and I didn't have ANYBODY to help me.  I made mistakes, but decided pretty early on to learn my way around.

Respected Contributor

This happened to me the other day and I thought someone had hacked my computer, which was true - Microsoft did. 

I can't believe they can do this to people.  I could not find things, it wouldn't let me use certain programs and while I could see some good things, the issues were too big and too many to be forced to keep it. 

I went to the electronics board for help.  I had microsoft remove 10 and re-install my 7.  My e-mail is a mess and my computer is not working like it used to.  I am more than angry with microsoft for doing this and not being able to get back to my normal system without issues.  This should be illegal.

I implemented the program suggested in the Electronics thread to prevent 10 from getting on my computer again.  Suggest people go over there to find out about it.

Respected Contributor

I have a question regarding this fiasco: does your firewall or anti-virus system have anything to do with allowing this "automatic" upgrade.  I have Kaspersky and have had this for 3 years without issue.  I am happy to pay the money this costs because it has been the safest anti-virus system in all the years I have had a computer.

Honored Contributor

Gooday - It shouldn't.  It's all about how you have your settings in 'Windows Updates'.  Make sure it is only set to 'check' for updates but not automatically install them.  Then you have control over what you install.