Honored Contributor

Re: auto upload of windows 10

My husband's computer did the same thing this morning.  He wasn't thrilled either.

Valued Contributor

The same thing happened to me the other day but as someone else said when I clicked on "next" I was able to decline.   Windows 7 was reinstalled automatically. I've had no other issues as of yet with Windows 10 trying to automatically update.  I don't want or need W10.

Respected Contributor

@MathisFan  Thanks for that info!  I haven't been on my home laptop since Sunday, so when I get home tonight I have to check it.  I've been getting those lousy pop-ups on it almost every day, but I've been just deleting them (not reading them anymore).  This is very annoying, as my computer is on Windows 7, and it's too old to handle Windows 10.  It still runs fine, so when I decide to get a new one is when I'll get Windows 10.  I resent them shoving it down my throat!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@nun ya  First, holy cow, let me say the "@" with list of names WORKS AGAIN!!!  ANd I can guarantee it's not at all because of windows 10 - I tried this after 10 dowloaded and the @ did not work.

So Ms Nun ya, I wish I had known this, I too would have declided.  I assume however I can unintall it.  And I just may.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  Or, Ms Diva, like at my old work, the techies would just show up at your office doorstep and tell you it's gonna happen.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma  I do have a new computer, barely one yr old, maybe two but no more than that.

So since W10 has been out now for a couple of years, I just hope they've worked out all of the bugs.  And now that I've spent time with it this morning and have a somewhat decent feel for it, I may as well keep it.

It certainly just bugs the cr*p out of me when they just choose to add something like this on as an update. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

That happened to my sister. DH told her how to go back.

DH installed Win 10 on both of our laptops & our desktop. I have been using it with no problems. Not much different then Win 7 IMO. DH has it set up to look as much like 7 as he could get it. We don't use Edge. Still using IE11 or Chrome. Stillusing Windows Live Mail.

DH will have to get Win 10 set up on both of my sisters computers when we go to Fl next month. It will be easier to do while we are there instead of having to remote into their computers from here to do it. My dad's hard drive failed so he bought a new computer that already has 10 on it. DH got on his computer remote & got his mail, malwarebytes CCleaner etc set up on it.

Honored Contributor

I have an Acer that automatically updated to Win 10 in December.  They didn't ask and I probably would have declined if they did.  But once I had Win 10, there was an adjustment but it really was no big deal.  I use my laptop for work, so I had to learn to maneuver around pretty quickly.  "I can't find it now" was not an option.  It didn't take lone before Win 10 was second nature to me.  But, to be honest, I don't see any advantages to it. 

Honored Contributor

I wonder if they are automatically downloading to computers to avoid a crash when everyone tries to get it downloaded while it's still free. I thought it was only free for 1 yr. I think June is 1 yr.

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD This happened to me a few days ago.  I was working on a document, on a tight deadline, and my computer went maverick. Two hours later, the system had been updated and I restarted the computer--and found I had no Internet connection.  Troubleshooting for  another hour disclosed that the modem needed to be unplugged for 5 minutes and restarted--just rebooting the computer wasn't enough.

It cost me almost 4 hours and the most recent version of my document---and I don't even  _like_ Windows.  Sigh. 

The good news is that post-update the system doesn't seem too different to me from Windows 8.2.  I think it may seem familiar because Windows 10 is on my office computer at work.

I rely on computers to do my work, but I have no interest whatsoever in the technical details, so I hate having to deal with them.  For all I know, my system is powered by gerbils on an exercise wheel.  The gerbils, I would care about, though.  Windows 10 and its anxiety attacks. . . I really wish I could have just gotten on with my work that day.

I must have told the Windows 10 prompt 100 times to disappear itself, but it just invaded like a space alien.