Respected Contributor

adjustable beds?

[ Edited ]

DH wants to look at adjustable beds where the head goes up. Any advice?

Respected Contributor

I can't help you much.  I have a furniture store and have access to them if people want to order them, but I don't stock them. 

The only thing I've heard a few times is that their old adjustable beds had the mesage feature and they didn't like it or never used it.  So I probably wouldn't pay extra for that.

I have not even seen one.  I order them and they come in a box.  When the guys deliver it, they put it together at their house. 

I would kind of like one, but DH doesn't.

Esteemed Contributor

We purchased an adjustable bed in June? I believe.  We love it. but then we often retire to the bedroom to watch tv or read before going to sleep.  Now I can't imagine having to get in a comfortable position by propping up pillows, etc.  

Honored Contributor

We've been considering either a TemperPedic or SleepNumber bed for some time.  I'm concerned about being able to change the sheets easily.  You definitely want to buy one when they are on sale.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Three years back I took a friend to a local Sleep Number store so she could shop.

I wanted to stay out of the way, so I did my own "shopping" while she worked with a salesman.  I tried any number of beds and positions and liked several, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend so much when I sleep quite well most nights on my own traditional mattress and I don't mind propping myself up to read a bit.

My friend did buy, spending just over $4000 total for a queen-sized bed.  She was hoping it would allow her freedom from the pain she lives with constantly.  It certainly did nowhere near enough to justify its price --assuming pain relief is your underlying reason to buy.

One other observation - especially for those who live alone - a full-sized bed may actually cost more than a queen just because they sell so few of them.  For me, that made my decision easy.  Can't fit a queen into my current apartment!

Honored Contributor

@millieshops -- Did your friend buy one where the foot of the bed was adjustable as well?  That style is so comfy in the store that I didn't want to get off it.  

Esteemed Contributor

Traveler,

Is there a reason you husband is only interested in the head going up and not both the head and feet?  IMO it would be a mistake not to get one that both the head and feet go up (independently).

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Frequent Contributor

Tempur-pedic adjustable.  Expensive but worth every penny..

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@millieshops -- Did your friend buy one where the foot of the bed was adjustable as well?  T

@tansy

And tansy, how tall are you?  I tried a couple at the mattress store and realized I am too short (5 ft.) to be comfortable.  I wanted one to raise up the headboard for reading but more importantly to keep my knees slightly bent at night to keep from stiffening up.  I needed a longer body trunk to match my head to the part of the bed where most people's knees meet.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Tempur-Pedic if in your budget. If not, many of the regular beds are available with the adjustable base. It's a pain, but you have to go try em all out.