Esteemed Contributor

Many years ago my doctor had me excused from jury duty due to back problems. Haven't received a summons since.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Speaking of things we fear!!!! Volunteers should/could go first and those with no ailments, should/could go next.

Super Contributor
On 1/6/2015 sylviahomeatlast said:

i don't want some grisley murder trial

I was on a jury for a bank robbery / murder trial. It was very interesting however incredibly sad. I did learn a lot of slang terminology though.

Trusted Contributor

I was only called in once. It was a case involving the hospital that I happened to work at. They asked the same questions to all of us potential jurors. The one question was, 'Do you have any connection with this case?"-I knew I would be excused since I worked there, but they asked us each, individually and alphabetically. I was the last one asked, since I'm at the end of the alphabet! I was promptly excused. By that time, I wanted to stay and see what happened!

Now, I live in a bigger city. Going to the county building in this weather would be a huge PIA. Transportation and parking, yuck! As a cancer patient, my oncologist told me to avoid crowded places due to the flu epidemic. I understand it is our civic duty but it is a hardship for some.

Respected Contributor

Only got called once but I've never served. Here, on the paperwork, you are assigned a group number. Each Tuesday I'd have to call in and they tell you what groups need to show up that day. My group was called in once, but they never used any of us.

My father used to get called all the time. He moved here with me when he could no longer live alone and got a summons and in his 70s and although not deaf, pretty much hearing impaired. I called and of course they dismissed him but I always thought after a certain age, they'd no longer be eligible to serve because of elderly issues.

Super Contributor

I get summoned every time my 3 years are up. Served only once. No big deal overall.

Should be coming up again soon.

sylvia: Good luck - will look forward to you writing about it.