Valued Contributor
On 6/5/2014 JustJazzmom said:

I've read this thread and have one comment-- anyone with a peanut allergy or any other kind of severe allergy (bee stings, other food allergies) should carry an Epi Pen with them at all times and that mother should have brought the Epi Pen with her and told the teacher about it and possibly instructed her (the teacher) how to use it in case of an emergency. One Epi Pen should have been at the school and one at home.

The OP is a third hand account and there isn't enough information there to know that an EpiPen wasn't used. Even with injection the child should have been transported to the ER for follow-up.

Respected Contributor

Every home in our family were our niece visits has a Epi Pen on hand and everyone knows were it is kept in each others home. Actually the school she attends is a wonderful school they wanted her to be a student there.

Honored Contributor

Sad story about both of these children. Since we have no children I have no clue how I would work around this situation. I do know I would not endanger another child if my kid was the one with the allergy. Would feel it is my responsibility to keep other children safe.

Hope all works out well for these boys.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor
On 6/5/2014 brii said:

That's very sad. I would feel awful if my child caused this allergic attack. Kids should not be prohibited from eating pb at home before school.

If my child were that allergic, I would look into alternative means of school. You cannot 100% control what people do that have contact with an allergic child.

I totally agree!

Super Contributor

I don't understand the post clearly............if the young boy had peanut butter for breakfast at home and then went to school how did it affect another child? Did he take the peanut butter sandwich to school?

Honored Contributor
On 6/5/2014 Marp2 said:
On 6/5/2014 JustJazzmom said:

I've read this thread and have one comment-- anyone with a peanut allergy or any other kind of severe allergy (bee stings, other food allergies) should carry an Epi Pen with them at all times and that mother should have brought the Epi Pen with her and told the teacher about it and possibly instructed her (the teacher) how to use it in case of an emergency. One Epi Pen should have been at the school and one at home.

The OP is a third hand account and there isn't enough information there to know that an EpiPen wasn't used. Even with injection the child should have been transported to the ER for follow-up.

True!!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor
How will the peanut butter allergy sufferer handle workplace coworkers who might eat peanut butter?
Super Contributor

Sorry about BOTH children. The one who got sick AND the child who might have been traumatized because his friend apparently became ill because of him.

That said, things are getting ridiculous today. Parents need to take responsibility for their children with allergies and not expect the rest of the world to change their habits to accommodate them. That goes for adults also. My daughter is allergic to nuts big time and went through school fine without incident. As an adult now, she knows what questions to ask in restaurants and takes the necessary steps in life to avoid getting an nut contamination. She does this without impacting people around her.

Also, her eight year old twins attend a school that allows peanut better and whatnot. There are children there with allergies who sit at a table in the lunchroom for children with these issues and no one has died yet. There has been no trouble over this. What next? A gluten free school? Where does it stop?

People are responsible for their own lives and should not have to worry about what they eat in their homes for fear of who might come in contact with them out of their homes.

Regular Contributor
On 6/5/2014 happy housewife said:

My SIL was telling me yesterday that a little boy in her grandson's preschool had to be rushed to the hospital with a very bad allergic reaction because another kid had eaten peanut butter at home for breakfast and then the one who is allergic and the one who ate the peanut butter were playing together. The one who had the peanut butter's mom said she didn't realize that even eating it before he came to school was prohibited, and she is currently looking for a different preschool for her son because she finds this to be too prohibitive, as her son is a poor eater and loves PB so she wants him to be able to have it for his breakfast.

IMO - and this is just me - if my child was that allergic to such a common thing I would home school before I'd put him at risk like that. i am an asthmatic and I can really relate to the poor allergic kids dilemma.I understand they want to be like all the other kids but sometimes that is not prudent. Certainly, no one did anything wrong here. It was just a lack of total understanding on the part of the mom who let her kid eat his favorite breakfast before school.

It is my understanding that you do not have children , so really have no experience in this matter. If everyone with allergies stayed home, hardly anyone would be out in public. The story is scary but not sad because the little boy with the allergies survived.

I've known a few 'Nurse Rached's but that won't stop me from visiting a Medical facility.

Respected Contributor
On 6/6/2014 wildcherry said:

Sorry about BOTH children. The one who got sick AND the child who might have been traumatized because his friend apparently became ill because of him.

That said, things are getting ridiculous today. Parents need to take responsibility for their children with allergies and not expect the rest of the world to change their habits to accommodate them. That goes for adults also. My daughter is allergic to nuts big time and went through school fine without incident. As an adult now, she knows what questions to ask in restaurants and takes the necessary steps in life to avoid getting an nut contamination. She does this without impacting people around her.

Also, her eight year old twins attend a school that allows peanut better and whatnot. There are children there with allergies who sit at a table in the lunchroom for children with these issues and no one has died yet. There has been no trouble over this. What next? A gluten free school? Where does it stop?

People are responsible for their own lives and should not have to worry about what they eat in their homes for fear of who might come in contact with them out of their homes.

BRAVO {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}..........post of the day...................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo